Bali terrorist threat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gator Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand knowledge about the terrorist issues in Bali. I was planning to travel there in August but read that the US embassies and business have been closed. I was just wondering how safe it is to travel there.

Are the closings Bali or Sulawesi? I know there is a travel advisory for Sulawesi following last weeks bombing, but did not read anything about Bali. I'll be on Bali and near Sulawesi in August too.

Actually, the embassy is reopening on Thursday according to Reuters. I've checked wtih a couple of sources (travel agent, governmental travel advisories) and everything suggest Bali is pretty safe. We're also going to Lembeh Resort and it seems ok as well. For what is worth...

cjames:
Actually, the embassy is reopening on Thursday according to Reuters. I've checked wtih a couple of sources (travel agent, governmental travel advisories) and everything suggest Bali is pretty safe. We're also going to Lembeh Resort and it seems ok as well. For what is worth...

I believe the embassy you're referring to is in Jakarta ... which is a long way from Bali.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A friend of mine just returned from Bali at the World Aquaculture Society meeting. A few days later he read the US closed the embassy in Jakarta in response to the heated protests of Muslims around the world. I hear they're upset because of the story Newsweek published about US soldiers flushing pages of the Koran down the toilet in front of the Muslim prisoners held in Guantanamo. Way to go Newsweek. But these things usually cool off and I would bet things will be "normal" again soon in Indonesia.

Hank, you mean it's not true??? Or do you mean, "who cares if it's true or not, no one should be publishing this?"

newbie - as others have said, the threat was related to specific threats against the embassy in Jakarta. Travel to Bali should not be a problem at all - at least at the moment. Note that Indonesia knows a cash cow when they see it and they have gotten very good at protecting Bali so that the tourist dollars keep coming in.... although there are no guarantees in life. Also note that I'd feel safer going to Bali at the moment than going to the Bay Islands in Honduras - just to give you some perspective.

Local Singapore news reported closing of all American embassies in Indonesia. I guess the other embassies are still there.

As for me, I still go where ever I wish and walk freely among the locals. I even take local public transport. In fact I was just in Jakarta last week and I have to be back there again next week. Then again I am Chinese and speak the local Bahasa. I really do not feel any threat. Their local warm smiles and helpful nature is quite different from POLITICS and what makes the NEWS.

Zippsy:
Hank, you mean it's not true??? Or do you mean, "who cares if it's true or not, no one should be publishing this?"
e.

It is true that the embassies closed. If the flushing incident is true the guilty soldiers should have been punished for their actions. It was unnecessary to publish the incident in a worldwide magazine which obviously would have serious repurcussions. This action obviously is not representative of US government policy, or of the opinion of the average American citizen but is now perceived so by many who don't like the US to begin with. Newsweek, in my opinion, was very irresponsible in their actions and should be held liable.

Back
Top Bottom