Bali, not diving related. SIM card registration for travelers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

Going to Bali next week and apparently there is a new law (began this month) that says travelers who buy SIM cards must register them at a special government office.

Has anyone experience this? If so, can you describe the process?

Again, it just started few weeks ago so if you were there before May then you would not have gone through the registration process for the SIM cards.

Thanks in advance.

Telkomsel registers SIM cards at their Grapari offices. You should go in person with your passport. There are several Grapari offices around Bali, including in Mal Bali Galeria and another on Sunset Road in Seminyak. I hope this helps!

I believe that you can also buy and register at the aiport Telkomsel kiosk. It's just after you walk out of the door after customs.

Had to do it a couple weeks ago , only problem is that its timeconsuming and communication is always a little sketchy.
Had to wait more then a hour ( mall kelapa Gading )
Frank

Appreciate all the feedback.

Just to be clear, so I purchase the SIM as I normally would from a shop (or airport) then head over to the Grapari offices to register?

So can I "top up" at the same time when I buy the SIM or do I have to wait until the SIM is first registered, then purchase the minutes/data?

Bit weird that you can't register at the point of sale, which would make things so much easier...

Appreciate all the feedback.

Just to be clear, so I purchase the SIM as I normally would from a shop (or airport) then head over to the Grapari offices to register?

So can I "top up" at the same time when I buy the SIM or do I have to wait until the SIM is first registered, then purchase the minutes/data?

Bit weird that you can't register at the point of sale, which would make things so much easier...

I believe if you do it at the airport you can also register when you purchase. But I am not 100% sure

T-Mobil international roaming. Calls 20 cents/min in 140+ countries. Includes internet connection via cell towers (which are everywhere). No need to buy local sim unless you need to make lots of local calls. Works great considering where you are. Not sure what provider you have. Worth checking out.

I just got back and 2 separate guests tried to buy the cards and register them (very time consuming). Neither got them working right away even after all the waiting, and both were really worked up about it. Not sure if it is worth the hassle but good luck.

@Cali_diver,

Thank you for the info. Wow, I guess you can't just register at the airport... I hope someone else who visited Bali recently has some better news regarding SIM registration.

@jcclink,

Yes, my sister has T-mobile and I believe she has free roaming data up to certain amount.

"Bit weird that you can't register at the point of sale,"
Rashly assuming this registration is for internal security (they've got some Jihad and other serious problems there) having a limited number of registration points still allow the small merchants to sell the cards, but requires background checking on a much smaller number of "registration" persons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom