Bali, non diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Bella_

Contributor
Reaction score
We're going to Sulawesi at the end of August and will spend 4 days on Bali before going on to Sulawesi. On Bali we're thinking of staying in Ubud, but haven't made a decision yet. Does anyone here have other recommendations on areas to stay on Bali? I thought of staying around Ubud as it's a central area of culture and beautiful scenery and also away from the capital, but I'm open to other suggestions. We're not planning on diving while we're on Bali, so it's not important to stay near a diving area.

Go to Ubud and take one of the sunrise tours to the volcanoes. They are incredible. Ubud is beautiful and they've got great food and guest houses for very cheap.

I haven't been to Ubud myself, but I have heard its nice. If you want to be on the beach, you can try Kuta or Sanur. Kuta is the tourist beach, and Sanur is the 'local' beach.

I was there last July and stayed at the Diwankari (sp?) in Sanur. I can't remember the cost, but Sanur is a lot less expensive then Kuta for the same class hotel. There are also a lot of expats in Sanur, and plenty of shopping and things to do.

Hi Bella
Ubut is a nice place for short stay if you are interesting with cultural and art stuf and attraction or even just for relax, not to get wet except if you like rafting. Lot of art museums and galery, but nice accomodation is expensive there although budget hotels are available too. You can also consider Bedugul area - cold weather highland with very scenic view but not many attraction, except parasailing and other water sports at Bedugul lake.
I don't like kuta, too crowded - Sanur beach is better and cheaper - If beach is your preference.

Wisnu:
You can also consider Bedugul area - cold weather highland with very scenic view but not many attraction

I enjoyed visiting a coffee plantation around that area, and seeing the different processes involved in coffee production. There is also a Botanical Gardens with an orchid collection (excpet I went on a Friday when it's closed).

However if I only had a few days I would definitely choose Ubud over Bedugul.

My wife and I spent 5 nights in Ubud after Wakatobi diving. It was a fabulous place. I was so glad I didn't stay at one of the beach areas - too crowded, busy. Ubud is quaint and quiet. There is shopping in and all around Ubud, lots of great restaurants, and Balinese dances every night somewhere in town. There are a lot of great hotels, We splurged (25th anniversary) and stayed at Pita Maha ($250 per night), but the most romantic and beautiful place we have ever stayed in the world - and we have travelled extensively. The Balinese people are wonderful and so service oriented and hospitable.
By the way, we have an English speaking tour guide there who is fabulous. Will be at your beacon call with an A/C car for $40 a day. E-mail me if you want his E-mail address. He is a great person, will enhance your trip, and I am trying to get him as many new clients as I can.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Divepix, I'll be sending you a pm shortly!

For non diving holiday, 2 areas I like are Ubud and Nusa Dua. Ubud if you like the mountain scenery an Nusa Dua if you like a more quiet beach (rather than Kuta or Sanur). Enough people already covered Ubud. Nusa Dua is down at the southern tip. The beach is much cleaner and quieter. There are several hotels, the usual Hyatt, Sheraton etc, all pretty big but each has its own strip of the beach that their guests stay on. Much nicer to lounge around than around Kuta for sure with very few vendors.
In Ubud, we stayed at Maya Ubud resort/spa
http://www.mayaubud.com/
and Grand Hyatt in Nusa Dua.

ssra30:

Thanks for the Maya Ubud tip. We were considering the Alila Ubud, but the Maya Ubud looks nice too. Decisions, decisions! :)

Back
Top Bottom