Bali in december, yes or no?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Germie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has anyone been to Bali in december? It is rainseason, and most people say there is nothing wrong with going to Bali then. But some others say you cannot dive at all. The idea is to dive around Tulamben, shoredives. That there will be rain is known, but is this a problem (together with wind?)?

Tulamben is fine in Dec.
You may get a few days of slightly "bigger" waves which make shore entry ...lets say adventurous! ha ha
Flikr Album - Tulamben December
Even during the rainy season it doesn't rain for days on end...usually just a few hours and then sun shine again.

I live and work in Bali and there is no issue with diving during the rainy season.

We typically get morning sun and afternoon rains. Site selection can be key when we get big rains due to runoff making the vis terrible but there is always a spot to dive that is good

I agree with the two posts above . . .for whatever that's worth. 😉

Been diving Tulamben the last three diveable years (ie. pre post COVID) in december, actually the conditions vary a lot depending on the years. 2 of these were perfectly sunny with flat seas, the only issue was the temperature of the water which reached sometimes 30°C.
Past year was not pleasant at all for at least a week, raining almost everyday for some hours, higher waves on some spots which were not diveable and fewer critters because once a site has been washed out by waves, the smaller animals are gone for some days especially in the shallows.

Ok, sounds not so bad. Have found an hotel in Tulamben with unlimited shore diving. As you can beat the shores on Bonaire, it will be possible here I guess.
And bad viz, we are used to have 3m viz, so it will not be that bad then, haha.

I was in Bali in early December 2023. Previous posters are correct, we typically had morning sun and afternoon rains. Also note that the coast tends to be drier than inland because clouds gather around the high peaks in the interior.

So I am guessing that October should be fine to dive Tulamben and Lembongan? Is Amed only good for macro? I did only one day there previously at Tulamben (Liberty) and my two trips have been in August or early Sept. Besides the wreck area, Is it only muck diving around the geography over there? I am looking for lots of fish life and color and muck diving is simply not my thing… what locations do you folks suggest for October?

Edit: A quick google search reveals Amed to be quiet colourful UW… lazy question my bad….

So I am guessing that October should be fine to dive Tulamben and Lembongan? Is Amed only good for macro? I did only one day there previously at Tulamben (Liberty) and my two trips have been in August or early Sept. Besides the wreck area, Is it only muck diving around the geography over there? I am looking for lots of fish life and color and muck diving is simply not my thing… what locations do you folks suggest for October?
Amed's best dive : Japanese wreck, corals garden and bommies in the back in the back, lots of reef fish. There are two different sites in the JW bay. Other sites like Bunutan wall also good for gorgonians, fish, etc.
Coral in Tulamben : right hand past the drop off, coral sites like Emerald, Batu Kelebit, there are a few sites off Kubu as well with decent coral coverage and more fish close to the Boga wreck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom