Anybody tried the 60mm lens set to 1:1?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ardy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I often wondered what the 1:1 switch did and having just read up on it, maybe it has a use. The problem is that if you use AF the 1:1 automatically switches off. So you have to use manual Focus.
Having just got back from Bali I realise I am not getting full 1:1 out of many of my shots. In some instances that's a good thing but when you are seeing subjects below 3/4" or 20mm which covers most of what I photograph in Tulamben then setting and leaving it on 1:1 might have some advantage.

Anyone here used the lens like this? If yes what advantages/negatives.

I have always had issues deciding if the lens is at 1:1 or not.

Can't you assign one of the buttons to force the 60 to 1:1? Nominally the 1:1 setting is for MF use, set it then use your fins to get to the right distance.

Thanks Bill, I didn't know that option was available. Will look into it, If I can then that's a good solution. I generally use BBF so moving to stay in focus is something I am used to.

Can't you assign one of the buttons to force the 60 to 1:1? Nominally the 1:1 setting is for MF use, set it then use your fins to get to the right distance.
I dont think so. It’s a physical switch that reverts after an exposure, and the MF is manual-only. There’s a gear for the MF, but not for the 1:1 toggle. FWIW, the Nauticam port for the 90 includes the range-limit and 2:1 switch, and a manual-focus gear is available.

I did some testing with my 60mm yesterday just around the property and I was surprised. With the lens set to 0.19 ~inf I had trouble getting the lens into 1:1 but it easily went to 1:2. When I changed the setting to 0.19~0.4m I had a much easier time getting to one to one.
I suggest based on this I will only use my lens on 0.19~0.4 as opposed to the stnd position which I normally set the lens to.
I have owned this lens since 2015 and should have done this test years ago...

I did some testing with my 60mm yesterday just around the property and I was surprised. With the lens set to 0.19 ~inf I had trouble getting the lens into 1:1 but it easily went to 1:2. When I changed the setting to 0.19~0.4m I had a much easier time getting to one to one.
I suggest based on this I will only use my lens on 0.19~0.4 as opposed to the stnd position which I normally set the lens to.
I have owned this lens since 2015 and should have done this test years ago...
The only problem with that is if you see something interesting further than .4m away. I wish there was a way to toggle that while underwater; but because I *might* see something I want to take a picture of further than .4m, I always stay in the .19-inf as well...

luckily I have rarely used the 60 for anything apart from macro so I will go with the restricted focus and see how it goes. The number of shots I have taken with the 60 that are not at 1:1 when they should have been is more of an issue for me than the occasional fish shot. I didn't realise how difficult it is to get the 60 to 1:1 on 0.19-inf position.

What is the problem you are trying to fix doing it this way again please?
I found that many of my shots are not 1:1 and I am cropping images. As I said in the entry I struggled to get the lens to 1:1 in an out of the water test set on 0.19-inf.

I found that many of my shots are not 1:1 and I am cropping images. As I said in the entry I struggled to get the lens to 1:1 in an out of the water test set on 0.19-inf.
It also focuses more quickly if set on the more restricted range.

Back
Top Bottom