Bali Family Holiday and Diving July 17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the other option to consider since the law changed is there are at least a couple of outfits on the local populated islands which are far cheaper, may be worth an email to Benthos as one of the intructors there has a centre in the Maldives

Yes, I'd heard about the law change which is one of the things that made me think it could be a goer, even with two kids. I've read somewhere you can get rooms from around US$40 p/n. I just hope the diving's cheaper from those islands than from the resorts too. I was shocked to see the prices some resorts are charging!!
Thanks for the tip re emailing Benthos too. As a matter of interest, did you dive with Muji? Myself and a very experienced German girl had him to ourselves :) I loved Mimpang & Tepekong!

For Bangka July & Aug can be a bit hit and miss, as it can get quite windy over that time. The earlier you go in July the better, check out the two albums from Bangka in July 2012 & 2013 for examples of what can be seen ( Angmo Al’s albums | Flickr ).

Fantastic pics, they've certainly whet my appetite. Shame the conditions aren't optimal in late July & Aug as that's when the school hols are.
It's nice to see & dive in different places but Bali actually works out well as the conditions are good at that time of year (plus Mola Mola season), the divings good and convenient, and there are direct flights from Bangkok. We'll head back there over the coming years for sure.
Shame it's not the best time of year for Thailand though really, as that's obviously the cheapest and most convenient for us as we always need to go there anyway. We've enjoyed diving on the Andaman side, but never dived the Similans or around Surin. Will have to wait a few years now for those areas as we're unlikely head out that way during Xmas or Easter hols.

Last edited:
Dived with 3-4 different DMs who were all very competent and group sizes were usually only 2-3 divers and also Eduardo (the Spanish instructor from Maldives)
Likewise really enjoyed the 2 islands of Mingpang and Tepekong, some really good currents at times too bringing in lots of fish life

Dived with 3-4 different DMs who were all very competent and group sizes were usually only 2-3 divers and also Eduardo (the Spanish instructor from Maldives)
Likewise really enjoyed the 2 islands of Mingpang and Tepekong, some really good currents at times too bringing in lots of fish life

What a difference a couple of months makes. Muji was the only DM working when we were there, and no sign of the instructors.
Yes some fun currents and lots of fish, and my first experience of a proper thermocline too. Temp dropped from around 28 to 23 C ... cold to start with, but I got used to it and was ok in a 3mm (I'm going to do my first UK dive locally next month. Will see how it goes in a 7mm!).
I didn't dive around Padang Bai or Nusa Penida...next time!

Last edited:
I think some mentioned but if heading to Bali consider the Gili islands as well. There is an island for everyone dives are short boat trips(10-20 minutes) from the islands so you can dive in the morning have a nice long lunch with your family/romantic partner/hookup from bar last night(depending on island) then a dive in the afternoon leaving the late afternoon free.

I think some mentioned but if heading to Bali consider the Gili islands as well. There is an island for everyone dives are short boat trips(10-20 minutes) from the islands so you can dive in the morning have a nice long lunch with your family/romantic partner/hookup from bar last night(depending on island) then a dive in the afternoon leaving the late afternoon free.

Yes, agreed. Gili Air was great for family. Lovely atmosphere, nice beach, decent snorkelling off the beach and convenient diving. It seemed to be very popular for courses, and understandably so. Whilst the diving wasn't mind-blowing and the reefs aren't particularly colourful, it's nice, easy & relaxing with the usual common reef life you get in SE Asia, some sharks, and more turtles than you can shake a stick at! ...and a nice warm up for the more interesting/exciting Bali.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom