Bali diving is better than I thought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember that individual tolerance varies.

In addition, there is a feature that as you do more dives, you feel colder. I am unsure exactly what this is, but many people have commented on it. I know one thing for sure: it is NOT your core body temperature decreasing!

@divinh - I am from SF and used to dive in Monterey. Dry suit, baby!

And cold water diving is a WHOLE NEW THING, trust me.

- Bill

I pack a 3mm and 5mm. I'm think of replacing my 3mm with a sharkskin. At tulamben normally pretty warm 28c+ but have encountered some slightly cool upwelling. Full suit because if encountered jelly fish(none killer type but still annoying). NP and Padang Bai as mentioned by others can get pretty cold. If you travel to the three Gilis it has been 30c everytime I've been there.

If you're diving in a new 5mm high stretch suit it will become a 3mm in about 2 wks of diving every day, so plan accordingly. ScubaPro makes a suit with "old" style neoprene that maintains thickness a lot better. My new 5mm was about 3.5-4 mil after a 100 dives. Also pack a 3+mm hooded vest if you chill easily.

If you're diving in a new 5mm high stretch suit it will become a 3mm in about 2 wks of diving every day, so plan accordingly. ScubaPro makes a suit with "old" style neoprene that maintains thickness a lot better. My new 5mm was about 3.5-4 mil after a 100 dives. Also pack a 3+mm hooded vest if you chill easily.

great read guys. sorry to hijack but ill be in bali for 3 weeks in September. will pack the 3:2 wetsuit and a hooded vest (5mm is way to big for backpacking!). I am just looking into diving around Bali. where should I head? Padang Bai and
Nusa Penida are now on my list :)

@shirtz FYI, thermocline was no joke at Crystal Bay when I was there few weeks ago, went down to 22, but just at that site from my recollection. Here's what I gathered from my 1 week stay.

If you want some kind of party/night life then you should stay around the southern area, BUT you will pay the price of having to drive 1.5-3 hours (each way) to go diving and diving will cost you more for less.

If you want to just dive then you should stay close to the dive sites. We stayed at Padang Bai, with Absolute Scuba and went to the dive sites on the west coast.

Something to note, even from Padang Bai some sites are 1 - 1.5+ hour drive (one way). Such as Tulamben, Amed...

We did one day dive at following places; Tulamben, Amed, Padang Bai area, and Nusa Penida (x2 cause first day was just horrible)

In my opinion north of Padang Bai, you are basically stuck in a resort(I don't have a problem with that but my buddy did). At Padang Bai you do have some streets to walk around and restaurants to visit.

If you are truly into diving then I say move from resort to resort and dive locally to avoid the long drives.

If you stay with Absolute Scuba then ask for Oscar, he is just amazing at finding critters!

I'm going in September for 9 nights. Going to spend the first 6 nights in Padangbai and the last 3 nights in Tulamben. While at Padangbai we plan to do Nusa Penida at least once. I am going to slum it in a 3mm full suit with a 2mm hooded vest, boots and gloves. I hate wearing big wetsuits, especially when its hot outside. I guess if I freeze I'll just rent another 3mm and double them up. I grew up in Illinois diving quarries almost year round. I hope I can survive Bali temps :wink:

My wife on the other hand is going to wear a 5mm and a 5/3mm hooded vest. She'd freeze in 68 degrees wearing a drysuit, so I'm sure she'll be complaining. But then again, what else is new :D. Im hoping the 90min massage for 18$ will keep her happy

In September, you don’t want to miss diving here:

@billt4sf id love to do raja but all the LB's seem to be in komodo in September. Bill and DanT , would you recommend staying at Padangbai or nusa lembongan to access Nusa Penida? a bit of topside entertainment is useful too :)

Back
Top Bottom