Bali diving is better than I thought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Things come and go… and who knows how this will change the surrounding area. Heck, the ferry channel right out in front of PB is a solid dive. Maybe the change at the jetty will lead to a new spot.

I was in a full 3mm but without a hood. I noted the biggest drop on my final dive that went from 28 to 24 degrees. 3mm was enough for my body but my head started to get a bit cold and a hood would have been very nice. The low temps come and go I found, next time here I'll have a vest with a hood.

Hahah... I'll note where you're normally based as a basis for temperature tolerance. Bali - 5mm, South Wales - 3 mm. :wink:

When I was in French Polynesia last year, I was in shorts and rash guard. One DM was in full wetsuit (unsure thickness) and vest with hood. I'm based in San Francisco, so used to cooler air temps. I've yet to dive here though.

I'm going to Komodo in late June. I'll be bringing a 3/2 full wetsuit with some kind of thermal insulator Xcel advertises. The suit is glued and blindstitched, so I hope I'm in the right ballpark for me.

Thanks for the info!

Hello All,

Going to Bali in few weeks and was wondering about which wetsuit to take, 3mm or 5mm. Will the water be bit warmer at the end of the month? Average water temperature?

Thank you in advance.

5mm is ALWAYS bearable.
The only places I dived where I would have prefered a 3mm are PNG or Phils in April/May, all 30-31°C, you won't have that in Bali.
When hitting that thermocline in PB or NP you may even consider a Sharkskin underneath your 5mm.

Luko,

Thank you for the information. By chance do you know the average water temperature in May/June around Bali? I'm hearing average 30C with thermocline down to 25 ish.

Thank you,

Luko,

Thank you for the information. By chance do you know the average water temperature in May/June around Bali? I'm hearing average 30C with thermocline down to 25 ish.

Thank you,
Bali is a tricky place.. If you look at the map you will see a point on the east side of the island. As a general rule of thumb, north of that will be 27 - 29C. (but not always due to thermoclines) Then south of it is where it gets real fun! June - Oct mostly 19 - 24 C.. But north side of Penida, warmer than that.. Jan - March usually also 25 +. However... its a real crap shoot due to the Lombok Strait, the Indonesian throughflow, and the deep water off the south.

If you are going to the northern side - Amed - Menjangan then expect 26 - 29.
If you are going south of that - expect anywhere from 16 - 29..

Clear as mud ya? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom