Bali dive operators for tailored trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ksporry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Guys,
Can anyone provide me with some recommendations for dive operators on Bali that offer tailored trips for diving? I'll be in Bali 10 days over christmas (9 if you subtract travel out on the last day), 5 of which I plan to dive, the rest will be land based tourism stuff :)
Browsing the forum, and reading both online and printed materials I kinda figured which sites I may want to visit and when (Tulamben, Nusa Penida to name a few, but I'm open to suggestions) I understood that in december it's best to avoid northwest due to monsoon crap flowing from the neighbouring islands. I also understood that some operators do workshops (e.g d-scuba does manta photography courses), and I'd love to do a workshop of some sort!

Basically I am looking for an operator that can tailor a trip that includes:
- transport
- accommodation
- photography workshops
- basic equipment like tank, BCD, and wetsuit (the rest I bring myself)

My other half and I do not require luxurious accommodation, just something that is clean, reliable (pref. with internet), and affordable (read: cheap).

As for the operator, I expect them to be professional, safety oriented, and if it's possible at all, sponsor Project Aware (although obviously not a guarantee, but it does give me a feeling like they care... I've dived with operators that don't give you a choice and automatically include donations to project aware, but also with others that give you a leaflet and that's it...)

Any suggestions?

Personally I have used and liked the following operators (I am quite an experienced photog so I am mainly focusing on flexibility for photography as well as guides knowledge) :
- Liberty Dive Center on Tulamben. Jeff Mullins, a photo pro, is also operating with them and can conduct photo workshops/courses check out Reef Wreck & Critter - Home Page - Reef Wreck & Critter - Underwater Photography Courses & Live Aboard Underwater Photo Trips
- Geko dive at Padang Bai, I am quite sure Cedric who's a good photographer would be able conduct a photo workshop.
- TwoFish and World diving at Lembongan, though not really photo oriented.

Otherwise you can contact Mike Veitch who's specialized into UW photo courses on Bali at Bali | School of Underwater Photography | Teaching and Leading | Photography Trips in Indonesia . I don't know him personally but often discussed on UWphoto boards and saw his photos. You can't be wrong.

Thanks Luko, I won't be in Bali over christmas but my business partner will be there and also teaches photo classes and yes, we set up tailored dive trips around Bali, not necessarily aimed at photographers but we find it's photographers who like to take advantage of our services. If you follow the link that Luko posted it will tell you a little more about what we do or please send us an email.
As for other operators in Bali, I think you will find that most all of the ones based in south Bali are more than capable of setting up a "Bali Safari" for you with a custom itinerary to suit your needs. All operators are very flexible and nowhere is really all that far so a 5 day safari tour is fairly common, I think you can't go wrong contacting any of the operators for what you are after. The names already mentioned in this thread can all do a good job of providing you with a service you will enjoy.

Thanks guys, between what you posted here and what I found browsing the forum, I think I got a good coverage. By the way, how is payment done mostly? Can I pay by credit card when we first arrive, or how does that work? From what I've seen, most operators don't actually "sell" online. If I need to bring a bunch of cash that might not be so easy.

With Aquamarine Diving - Bali I was asked to make a payment in advance via bank transfer; I paid the rest in Bali, in cash.

Ive always used Bali Dive Academy/Scubali - trouble free airport pickup, accomodation and tours can be organised through the office. I wouldnt worry about payments in advance its common in Indonesia but I see no reason to be worried about having to walk around with a bunch of RP as other than in Tulumben and on N.Penida you will find ATMs everywhere. I dont pay in advance with Bali Diving just settle up the bill at their office on the way out after diving either cc, eftpos or cash.

So, for dive site considerations, i got Some interesting itineraries. The most interesting one does not include Nusa penida, which I wanted to visit for mantas, and potentially mola molas. although I know that December/January is not the mola season. As such, I was wondering if I should stick to the tulamben and amed area for this trip, and do Nusa penida on another trip, maybe in October time.

Sticking to Tulamben/Amed would let you stay in the area and spend your time diving and relaxing, instead of on a boat or in a van. I wouldn't get bored doing 5 days there
unless you don't like muck diving.

Back
Top Bottom