Balanced or unbalanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Word is that Atomic is making the SR1 for Sherwood.
Given the horrible reliability of the SR1 and the fact they are in their third design iteration to try and resovle it, that would say really bad things about Atomic.

More importantly, few companies actually produce their own regs. Most either do original design work then out source the production to one of the larger and older manufacturers such as Sherwood or Tabata, or market other designs made or acquired under license from other companies.

Given that Sherwood is one of the oldest manufacturers around and has been producing regs for other companies for decades, I doubt that one of the youngest companies around is making anything for Sherwood. Plus Atomic was started by engineers who used to work for Scubapro who also used an outsource model with most of their designs being produced by Tabata and it is very likely they follow a very similar production model. Really godo production facilities are hideously expensive adn the small volume of the scuba industry does not make it worth having your own production facilities when you can spend less having your designs made on someone else's state of the art equipment.

Atomic is not the manufacturer of the SR-1, nor are Harsco who manufacturer the general regulator line for Sherwood,the SR-1 manufacturer is a closely gaurded secret from Sherwoods side, I have heard its the California based company "Advanced diving Products" but cant say for certain, if memory serves me, this company also manufacture the "Dynamo" line of regulators.

I agree on the horrific reliability issues of the SR-1, I doubt very much this would have happened had they stuck to Harsco as manufacturer, but possibly it was a cost issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom