Balai versus Solana resort in Anilao??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clgsamson:
I must also say that at aquaventure after your dive, your gears are rinsed/washed and stowed neatly in your tray/cart. And if your going home you don't have to carry your gears up those flight of steps, they will, of course a tip is in order.

To each his own resort I guess, but that is just what I want my pre- and post-dive needs, no hassle, fresh and relax. I like to be spoiled.

Mabuhay and mga Señorito!

i agree wholeheartedly! nothing beats the pampering...

strange lang, there's this whole other thread in another part of the forum where people are debating about whether or not it was ok to hand up the weights after a dive... then it spread to fins and BC/tank... some do have a point but to each his own really

would you clamber up the banca with your belt on though? diba?

Jag

clgsamson:
Yes it is. the "manta dive" is actually an opel manta car model sunk right in front of the resort. I just dont know if you'll need seatbelts to dive into it.

Hehe! well it's till worth a trip as it's so very popular :eyebrow:

shugar:
by the sound of it this "should" be right in front of balai... i don't know... i still have the feeling my fin is being pulled here...

btw, you going this weekend? i figured since you were just recently certified casty would have egged you to go this weekend...

Jag

it's an opel "manta" model sunk right in front of the resort

i have not been to balai or solana for the longest time. but i'd have to say:

food: Balai (specially when larry was in the kitchen)
rooms: solana ahead slightly
ambience: balai
diver friendly: tie
non-diver friendly: solana

value for money: balai

DM_Kyle:
i have not been to balai or solana for the longest time. but i'd have to say:

food: Balai (specially when larry was in the kitchen)
rooms: solana ahead slightly
ambience: balai
diver friendly: tie
non-diver friendly: solana

value for money: balai

heard that the ayalas bought solana from marilou diaz-abaya recently with the intention of turning it into an up-scale dive destination... the good news for most of the other resorts is that the ayalas are now fast tracking cabling for telephone lines and the cellphone signals in balai have increased tremendously

i don't know though if the phone lines will go all the way to balai but the resorts along the way to solana are excited

Jag

Next time someone goes to Balai ask about the manta...

Anyway here's my Balai story:

I went there with my OW class and met a whole bunch of great people... Ambiance and hospitality were top notch... As we settled in for the night the guys kept walking up to the corner of the deck where there were 2 baskets hanging. I watched as they deposited their cellphones in the basket and ocassionally would check them... Hmmm I thought maybe this is a resort thing... a "your on vacation... deposit your cellphones here" kinda deal. Something like when you walk into an after hours bar with a tie on the bartender comes over and cuts it off....
Anyway long story short after a few drinks someone explained it to me that the best places to pickup a signal are the spots where the baskets are... people just wanted to leave their phones there to get their text messages. Silly me LOL

you missed out that certain baskets had better signals for particular carriers... the one further out on the deck was for globe, the nearer one was for smart

well, the signals are great now but the baskets are still there... nostalgia maybe?

hahahahahaha

Jag

shugar:
heard that the ayalas bought solana from marilou diaz-abaya recently with the intention of turning it into an up-scale dive destination... the good news for most of the other resorts is that the ayalas are now fast tracking cabling for telephone lines and the cellphone signals in balai have increased tremendously

i don't know though if the phone lines will go all the way to balai but the resorts along the way to solana are excited

Jag

heard the same thing. didnt know it was the ayala's who acquired it. feedback from some dive buddies is that solana is now REALLY pricey,rivaling Eagle Point prices.

cellphone signals improved tremendously though. there was a time when i could not get any outgoing sms out in balai. so much better now. i even had a job interview via cell while on S.I. around mainit. nice development. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom