Baja Report:Loreto,La Paz,and Cabo 4/7-4/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro5

Contributor
Reaction score

Well this was my first driving trip south past Ensenada and I have been planning a trip like this for many years and finally decided to do it.

baja.gif

Me and Tina started to drive Friday night and by Saturday evening we made it to Loreto.

I quickly had to get use to the narrow and kinda bumpy roads. I had to keep a close eye on the road at all times and watch for cows.

la_paz_0241.jpg

I found a nice beach area about 20 miles south of Loreto in a town called Ligui where I was able to park right next to the water and camp.

cabo_014.jpg

There is a island just 2 1/2 miles offshore called Isla Danzante.We got everything loaded up and made the crossing to the island where we snorkled and walked around different parts of the island.

la_paz2_010.jpg

la_paz2_023.jpg

2_066.jpg

la_paz2_012.jpg

la_paz2_015.jpg

la_paz2_008.jpg

la_paz_035.jpg

After a long day on the water we get back to camp and I look at the map and see that La Paz is about 200 miles away so we thought about it and said lets go. We had no plans at all to go farther then Loreto but could not resist since La Paz was on our list of places to travel to.

It was suppose to be a 4hr drive but by motorhome it took 5 1/2hrs.

la_paz_016.jpg

la_paz_008.jpg

la_paz_014.jpg

la_paz_012.jpg

la_paz_011.jpg

We spent most of the day in town then headed about 20+ miles north of La Paz to a spot called San Juan De La Costa.

The next day I found a small rock jetty with some pilings a little deeper from the rocks.

IMG_1188.JPG

As I was swimming around the rock jetty and pilings I see a dark area away from the rocks but I thought it was a shadow and moved on then on the way back in I see it again so I swam toward it and saw that it was a ship wreck and there was life everywhere.

The bow of the ship was at about 10ft below the surface and the main part of the ship was at 20ft and the bottom at 30ft. I figure the ship was about 200ft long and there was also some structure that looked like a crane so there was plenty to see here and I spent about 7hrs in the water exploring this remarkable find.

Click on the link below to see a video clip

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/39279/cat/602/page/1

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/39323/cat/602/page/1

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/39327/cat/602/page/1

IMG_1176.JPG

We stayed overnight and I fished and freedived the next day then in the afternoon I looked at the map again and you guessed it Cabo was only 130 miles away so off we go to Cabo San Lucas.

2_023.jpg

2_027.jpg

2_021.jpg

2_020.jpg

2_018.jpg

2_017.jpg

2_005.jpg

cabo_040.jpg

The next day I decided to take a panga out for a 1/2 day and with the reports showing no Yellowtails inshore we targeted Siera's which were biting great on live bait.

cabo3_016.jpg

cabo3_025.jpg

cabo3_023.jpg

Here's a sunrise pic of San Jose Del Cabo harbor below:

2_001.jpg

Regarding military check points we had no problems at all. All check point going south they just waved us though and we got checked 2 times out of 5 times in which the other 3 times we just waves though.

The 2 times we were checked took maybe 2 minutes to do a quick walk thru of the motorhome.

Keep in mind there is so many hidden compartments inside and out but we still had no problems.

cabo3_034.jpg

According to the GPS we drove 2500 miles and 60 hrs driving time on this trip.

I fully plan on doing future trips south again.

We like Cabo Pulmo on the Sea of Cortez between Cabo San Lucas and La Paz. Only coral reef on this side of the world. Great diving. Love your report.

Jim

KILLER REPORT!!! Just makes me push that much harder for my next trip to southern Baja .... Really great pics as well .... thanks for the inspiration!!!

scottfiji:
wow roger, sounds like such a nice trip. I drove down to la paz a few years ago and had a great time. dont go in the summer, it may be too hot!!!

I love the islands around loreto also.

so no scuba diving??

scott

Nope I left my tank at home and decided to do free diving only but now regret that I did not bring it.

Next trip I will bring my tanks since I suck at holding my breath LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom