Bainbridge Scuba Center to Close

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WRChadwell

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
It was just announced within the past couple of days that Bainbridge Scuba Center in southeastern PA has been sold and will close later this month (Aug 2015). That's all it says on the site's webpage (Dive In to BSC). Does anyone on here have any additional information? Obviously, the #1 question is going to be: will the new owners continue to operate it as a dive site? I think a lot of people in the mid-Atlantic region would like to see it remain a place where we can dive.

There are a fair amount of rumors as to who bought it, but the common theme at this point is no more diving. AGAIN RUMORS NOT FACTS

I am with WRChadwell I would love to see it stay a dive site!!!

Judging by the layout of the land, I have a hard time imagining what else it could be used for. I have only been there once and loved the place. IMO it is the closest Quarry to D.C. that is actually nice to dive.

Yes, there are rumors being floated about who bought it - one has it being the utility (power) company, another a waste disposal company. I have a friend diving there tomorrow who is going to ask the current owners directly and we'll see what she finds out.

I received a letter from the owners. Apparently the waste disposal site nearby (Lancaster Waste Authority or something like that) bought the dive site. The letter did not state anything more than who bought it. It provided no insight as to whether diving will be permitted, but IMO it will be a no diving permitted area.

Nothing more than Lancaster County Solid Waste Management Authority in the letter. Word on the street is that they are using it for "cooling water". The owners have stated that they are closing. No one has heard anything official from the new owners, most of us are just speculating that it's done.

Other than 'sucking divers in' while they're cooling their machinery, we're not sure why we can't dive there anymore...but a lot of us are getting them in while we can...and a LOT of the local dive shops are getting classes in with serious reckless abandon! (visibility last weekend was pretty bad in the usual class areas, those of us trying to just dive weren't seeing much at those spots)

A lot of us are worried that some of the local shops are going to probably go out of business, and those of us that are within 20-30 minutes of a drive down there are going to have to use Dutch Springs more often. (which is about a 2 hour trip for most of us)

Not the end of the world, but not the easy thing we've had for a long time.

sad to see this place go. We went in June for the first time and fell in love with the distance, warm and clear water. Maybe they will open it up for free swimming/diving.... If I had known, I would of taken my imaginary $1,000,000 and purchased it.

Back
Top Bottom