• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Bail Out Breather options?

Discussion in 'Rebreather Diving' started by stuartv, Aug 29, 2019.

1. cathal

cathal Contributor

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    12313538_10206843105348225_1901239981123432143_n.jpg
    Dual Shrimp BOV anyone?

Heat Miser likes this.
  2. cathal

cathal Contributor

75339419_10218018232039408_9159079967026315264_n.jpg
    Images are by courtesy of Dr Richard Harris. My back aches with the thoughts of just getting kitted up with this tbh.

rjack321, stuartv and Heat Miser like this.
  3. rjack321

rjack321 ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    The wetmule guys have always impressed me with their ingenuity. I don't think this rig is the kind of thing anyone dives in the ocean though

4. Dsix36

Dsix36 Solo Diver

Regarding the use of a BOB:

I have a deep mix regulator necklaced, turned on, and ready to go. There is no need to fumble with the DSV, merely open mouth, push it up with regulator as I put it in my mouth. My loop hoses have enough weight to stay right in front of me and the water ingress is minimal before finally shutting it. This gives me a moment to sort out BOB before moving to it. Please keep in mind this is only when having to bailout in anger, most bailouts can be done in a slower calmer manner, but it still needs to be practiced so it can be done when needed.

Since I have been forced to bailout due to a CO2 hit before the days of BOB, I know exactly how difficult it can be to get a regulator in my mouth without inhaling water. Ever since that incident, I have always been totally aware of my breathing rate and the temperature of the loop. I hope to never be complacent enough to let that happen again.

5. Stevegriscti

Stevegriscti Registered

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    , I have always been totally aware of my breathing rate and the temperature of the loop.

Might be missing something obvious here, but how does loop temperature warn of an impending co2 incident?
    Thanks.

6. evandroairton

evandroairton Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    As far as the sorb is doing it's work the gás should have a warm feel. If it starts to cool down MAY mean the scrubber is losing it's function
    The CO2 absortion produces heat. It's how the temp stick on AP's show you scrubber usage

stuartv likes this.
  7. Dsix36

Dsix36 Solo Diver

I have found that if I am overexerting myself and thus causing my breathing rate to increase, that the temperature of the loop gas increases too.

8. tbone1004

tbone1004 Technical Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    sort of. The AP units measure where the heat is to see where the reaction front is to gauge scrubber usage. They don't really care about the absolute temperature of the reaction front because it is based on ambient temperature and CO2 production from the body. My experience echo's @Dsix36 's where if I'm kicking hard in high flow caves the loop temp can get unbearably hot and I actually have to bail out for a few minutes to let it cool off because I start to overheat.

evandroairton and grantctobin like this.
  9. evandroairton

evandroairton Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Yup! I've got the point you guys are saying!
    It happened to me already, and forget to take it in account on my answer!

10. cathal

cathal Contributor

Anyone seen the spec for the dual integrated BOV on this unit??