Bahamas/Turks & Caicos: Off beaten path?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

envirovannas

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to dive in the Bahamas or Turks & Caicos but have been put off by the ridiculous prices or the cruise-ship tourism. Anyone have any idea whether a operation or locale exists that:
1) Offers good diving close by,
2) Has accomodation that is simple and comfortable, yet not astronomically expensive,
3) Is off the beaten track (e.g., well away from places like Nassau), yet not virtually impossible to get to.

I'm not necessarily looking for a resort; a nice dive shop near a little hotel, B&B, or inn would be just fine. With hundreds of islands between the two nations, you'd think places like this would be a dime a dozen, but I've not come across any such options.

Thanks!

Bimini is definatly off the beaten track, www.biminiundersea.com . Small, laid back, and ways away from any cruise boats yet the bimini big game resort is affordable and comfortable. Places like Nassau have becaome overrun with tourists so the out islands are the way to go. I've heard san salvador has some good diving too, lots of walls. Good luck!

envirovannas:
I'd love to dive in the Bahamas or Turks & Caicos but have been put off by the ridiculous prices or the cruise-ship tourism. Anyone have any idea whether a operation or locale exists that:
2) Has accomodation that is simple and comfortable, yet not astronomically expensive,
3) Is off the beaten track (e.g., well away from places like Nassau), yet not virtually impossible to get to.

I'm not necessarily looking for a resort; a nice dive shop near a little hotel, B&B, or inn would be just fine. With hundreds of islands between the two nations, you'd think places like this would be a dime a dozen, but I've not come across any such options.

Thanks!
"The Small Hope Bay Lodge in Andros, Bahamas offers casual accommodations for diving and fishing enthusiasts in a quiet relaxed atmosphere"

Not "astronomically expensive" around $1800 a week, but that includes everything except air. www.smallhope.com

Check out the Salt Raker on Grant Turk. Deffinatly off the beaten path. Not amazing accomodations but not a roach motel... 2 doors down from Oasis Divers and they have combo Packages. I was there for 2 weeks and Erika the Mgr of the Salt raker is a very nice woman. Dale at Oasis Divers is also very nice to deal with and everyone there is very good. If you have any questions please feel free to PM me. I spent a little over 2 weeks on Grand Turk in November. Also check out World of Diving. I belive they set up some package deals down there I would recomend using Chris Fox. Once again a very nice person to deal with. ( Does not help that he was also my instructor)

Scott

envirovannas:

Thanks!

Reel Crazy14:
Bimini is definatly off the beaten track, www.biminiundersea.com . Small, laid back, and ways away from any cruise boats yet the bimini big game resort is affordable and comfortable. Places like Nassau have becaome overrun with tourists so the out islands are the way to go. I've heard san salvador has some good diving too, lots of walls. Good luck!

Bimini is a great island, but I'd prefer not to have to deal with the guy who runs the Bimini Undersea operation. He was an idiot and was WAY OVERPRICED.

Besides some of the other suggestions, a past co-worker went to the RIding Rock Inn in Turks and Caicos and loved it. Check them out.

The Riding Rock Inn is in San Salvador not the Turks & Caicos. You will have trouble finding inexpensive accommodations in the TCI. You may have better luck with the out islands but you will pay extra to get there. The most inexpensive deal on Providenciales is probably an air/hotel packages at the Comfort Suites.

Tim Ingersoll:
The Riding Rock Inn is in San Salvador not the Turks & Caicos. .

Hmm..... I thought that San Salvador was the name of the island it was on and that it was part of Turks and Caicos... Is it a seperate island by nationality?

mike_s:
Hmm..... I thought that San Salvador was the name of the island it was on and that it was part of Turks and Caicos... Is it a seperate island by nationality?

No, it's part of the Bahamas.

The main Bahamas Islands:

Bimini
Freeport/Grand Bahama
Walker's Cay
Abacos
Nassau/New Providence
Andros
Eleuthera/Harbour Island
Exuma
Long Island
San Salvador

from www.bahamasdiving.com

mike_s:
Bimini is a great island, but I'd prefer not to have to deal with the guy who runs the Bimini Undersea operation. He was an idiot and was WAY OVERPRICED.

Besides some of the other suggestions, a past co-worker went to the RIding Rock Inn in Turks and Caicos and loved it. Check them out.

When I was there in November I found this not at all to be the case. A 5 day package at $535 is entirely reasonable especially considering other dive packages around the area and they dive four times a day. We were over there during thanksgiving and Bill invited us to sit with him at the big game feast, he was a nice guy and knew how to run a good dive operation. I wouldn't hesitate to go diving with undersea again.

I am doing Turks and caicos in june , seven nights for around 750 a person including air. (Comfort Inn) Diving will be extra and we are staying 4 to a room but Thats about as cheap as I could find. Diving there is expensive but worth it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom