Bahamas: Missing Female Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My bad. I believe I see your intent now.

It seems clear that Mrs. Wood did "escape." That is why I said I was concerned. Needless to say, "concern" does not equate with placing blame.

What I meant when I asked "how" she "escaped" is what mechanism or chain of events led to her "escape"? (I recognize that many times, when I ask such questions, it is to challenge the proposition. This is not one of those times.)

Human error will always occur. This doesn't always necessitate blame (although of course it frequently can and does).

Systemic error is clearly more of a worry.

This incident doesn't smell of systemic error and I'd hesitate to draw too many conclusions on what lessons could be learnt. Perhaps some. Staying close to your buddy is one perhaps.

I view this incident entirely differently to the recent Cayman death where systems broke down all over the place. That IMHO is where the rich picking of lesons to be learned are. In this case a DM was faced with a highly unusual situation and maybe didn't react to heroic standards but likely mostly within her training (alleged missing diver alert aside).

However, it sounds quite likely to me that no-one was going to retrieve the missing diver alive.

If I'm missing some critical piece of the puzzle (I've read a lot but not all posts) please let me know.

Cheers,
J

I have to admit that I gave greater attention to whom I would buddy with. In the past I would buddy up with anyone the DM selected no matter what the cert level was. Not so now. I watched how single divers set up their equipment, what equipment they had, was it their own or rental. Talked to them and made the decision. I don't want to baby sit a new diver or put my safety in obvious danger.

I am just glad that as a new diver I don't meet many such people. All that I've met so far were very helpful after I've informed them that I am a new diver with barely over 10 dives total (as of past weekend) and that I am not comfortable going deeper then 35-40ft and would prefer staying above 30ft if possible. I know I have a lot to learn and I would prefer to dive with more experienced diver (that understands that I am new). But I am also clear about my comfort level and what I would like to learn on a particular dive (i.e. deploying SMB at the end of the dive to use for 15ft/3min safety stop).

Actually, I like diving with newer divers. I've been diving so long (over thirty years) that I've gotten very complacent in regards to diving. That's not saying I'm unsafe, but I just don't give it much thought. And my husband buddy is a UW photographer, so most the time he's watching for fish, not for me, so he has a bit of the "same ocean same buddy" mentality going on, because he trusts my skills and comfort level in the water. A newer diver is usually more aware of their equipment, limitations, and what's going on with their buddy. And so when I dive with one, I am also usually pay better attention so such things. And I often learn something new from them. Iztok, you can dive with me any time!

Actually, I like diving with newer divers. I've been diving so long (over thirty years) that I've gotten very complacent in regards to diving. That's not saying I'm unsafe, but I just don't give it much thought. And my husband buddy is a UW photographer, so most the time he's watching for fish, not for me, so he has a bit of the "same ocean same buddy" mentality going on, because he trusts my skills and comfort level in the water. A newer diver is usually more aware of their equipment, limitations, and what's going on with their buddy. And so when I dive with one, I am also usually pay better attention so such things. And I often learn something new from them. Iztok, you can dive with me any time!

Very well said H2O Gal. I have over 3500 dives under my belt but it seems that lately when I dive with my wife I have gotten somewhat complacent. I seem to have had more boneheaded stunts in the last year than I have had in the previous 20 years (last week I threw my rig over the side to gear up in the water and I realized I forgot to put air in my BC. It was not easy for an old out of shape guy to freedive to 75 feet to retrieve my rig and I came up out of breath. What's worse, it was embarrassing as I was the "experienced" one!). My wife is an excellent diver, but I have noticed that as her comfort level has increased, my vigilance has decreased. When I go out with new divers and actually see them doing their predive safety checks it always reminds how important the little things are.

Last edited:
. . . how can any of us entrust our lives to them? Its not fair to expect that of them and even more foolish of us to place such trust in them. I'm not saying they don't do a great job and help us enjoy dives, that they do very well, but they are not there to watch over each and every diver, its just not possible.

Yes, it's not possible for the DM to keep track of every diver. In reality, most don't keep track of any of the divers, except to stop a few times during the dive and wait for people to catch up.

That a dive is "safe" because it's lead by a DM is one of the Great Lies of the SCUBA Tourism Industry.

On the other hand, it is absolutely possible for a professional or even a good buddy to be aware of dangerous behaviors and bring the "misbehaving" diver safely to the surface before the dive gets any more "exciting."

This was planned as a relatively shallow dive, and it wouldn't be difficult to figure out that when max depth is 60' and your buddy is at 70', then 80' and descending, something might be wrong. At this depth a rescue would be easy and low-risk. The fact that it ever got to 100'+ means that the victim's buddy wasn't being a buddy at all.

Terry

I think this current thread compliments this earlier thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...ering-diving/283566-who-responsible-what.html

"Who is responsible for what?" is a good reminder to all new (and old) divers that they are ultimately in charge of their own safety, and not to rely on dive professionals to keep them safe.

This current thread is a sobering reminder to dive professionals about the dangers of becoming complacent or distracted when leading a dive.

Best wishes.

I didnt intend to come across sounding like I wouldnt buddy with a 'newer' diver for the want of a better word. I would base my decision on who to buddy with based on my planned dive. Its hardly right for a diver to buddy up with someone who is open water certified when on a sea wall where hammerhead sharks were spotted at 100ft the morning before. I personaly feel like its asking for trouble.

I didnt intend to come across sounding like I wouldnt buddy with a 'newer' diver for the want of a better word. I would base my decision on who to buddy with based on my planned dive. Its hardly right for a diver to buddy up with someone who is open water certified when on a sea wall where hammerhead sharks were spotted at 100ft the morning before. I personaly feel like its asking for trouble.

OK, makes bit more sense now.

Here is my 2 cents for what is worth (coming from someone with 11 logged dives).

1. I would not dive with an experienced diver to go beyond my comfort level, that includes deep dives. Not until I finish my deep dive specialty and become AOW and am comfortable doing so.

2. I value open dialog/opinions when it comes to pre-dive planning. And finding the right buddy for the planned dive is important.

3. If everyone has a buddy (pre-existing pairs) and two are only one left I feel that dive should be within the comfort zone and experience level of the least experienced diver. I don't feel peer pressure should be deciding factor and seeing some cool hammersharks on the expense of safety is not my thing.

4. At the end if you are "stuck" with someone like me who doesn't feel comfortable going to 100ft and I am your only choice. Too bad, you either dive more conservative dive or I don't dive (which in most cases means you don't have a buddy to dive with).

So in my personal case I either dive conservatively within my comfort zone (or with instructor to teach me new skill out of my comfort zone at the time) or I will sit out the dive.

Hope that makes sense.

I havn't been too vocal on this thread not for the want of saying what happened that morning, more due to the fact that I don't really have the free time to read what is only speculation. Of course I have my own interp of what happened that morning, I have rolled it around in my mind hundreds of times that if only I had left my wife and took charge of the situation Ms Wood would have made it top side.

Rolling around after the fact is different from considering at the time or, worse yet, doing. There is no reason to risk two casualties, especially when one is your buddy.

After the dive and talikng with my wife I learned that DM's in vaccation spots are little more than glorified tour guides, and I don't mean that to sound at all negative. What I mean is, they may well know the water, current , dive site, local conditions etc but when the chips are down who realy has your back?

I have dived with a lot of DMs in vacation spots. Each has exhibited extraordinary skill. Each has been extremely conscientious about the group's well being. One was so good and so well trained that I can only aspire to be that good.

Admittedly, when such a DM is acting as the group guide or DM, he or she cannot give as much attention as when he or she is acting as a specific buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom