Bahamas: Missing Female Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In his Photo Gallery on ScubaBoard

Bsee65,

I just read your last two post and would like to say you have described ALL of the most important points about this whole accident very well.Just the way I understand it.I have read this story from first post to present.Good job on the summary.The date was 6/03/09 on the day of the incident.

Meg did have his camera date set wrong.I loaned him the camera.I checked.Sure enough.Its set 5/09 NOT 6/09 as it should have been.

Thanks! At least I got the year right. Maybe my internal clock could use a tweak as well. I hate it when months fly by.

I never set the dates on the camera I got it from a friend to use on my trip an never check the dates
Really common oops. Even if the pics had not been date imprinted, one can often get the date from the EXIF data in a pic - if the camera is set right, or the pic hasn't been altered in editing. I'm sure your information is correct, or as close as we'll ever see. Thanks!

I'd kinda be interested in working on some of the greener pics if you'd be interested in emailing me the originals...?

No offense to Dantheengineer, but I think you have the situation backwards. MEG DIVER is an uninterested party who was present on the dive. Dantheengineer is receiving his third party information from employees of the dive shop. Dan's information is suspect in accuracy as the parties providing it are very interested in the perception and outcome of any investigation. In short, if there are conflicting statements, I'm leaning toward those of MEG DIVER to be the more accurate.

Certainly of course I agree. MEG DIVER would be the one to "quote" on the incident, and it would be more accurate than a third hand account. However, the clarity in his post was difficult to decipher and I found it more challenging to repost his thoughts for a quick summary. By reposting, I never meant to imply that it was the final say or most accurate. And I did add the disclaimer (as did DANTHEENGINEER) that it was very third hand if not more so. It was only as a courtesy to late comers on this thread. I am grateful MEG DIVER posted at all and continues to be here. Thank you MEG DIVER.
And, I, like everyone else here, hope to hear from onehalcyon.

Last edited:
Alohagal, looks like you'll have to find another SB challenge to do. :)

Alohagal, looks like you'll have to find another SB challenge to do. :)
:shocked2:Instead of saying "Avoiding Accidents and Incidents Thread" as my SB Challenge, I should have said "Avoiding being the subject of analysis on the Accidents and Incidents thread"

I will go change it pronto.......................:)

:rofl3:

http://www.escuba.com/articles/index.asp?WCE=68&WCI=Article1

CNS Considerations in Scuba Diving
by Dr. Hugh Greer, DAN Southwest Regional Coordinator
Introduction
Some of the most difficult questions DAN medics field every day are questions pertaining to the diseases and illnesses of the central nervous system and their relationships to scuba diving. By "central nervous system (CNS)," I mean the brain and spinal cord and the body functions they control.
What makes these questions so problematic? One reason is because the answers are so varied. First, many of the diseases and illnesses that affect the central nervous system produce symptoms that are the same as, and can be mistaken for, neurological decompression illness. Since DAN began collecting data on recreational divers, we have found that the central nervous system is affected in about 70 to 80 percent of all types and severities of decompression illness (DCI).
This has two important consequences: 1) the diver may have his DCI undertreated because he will ignore symptoms of DCI; or 2) the diver may have his DCI overtreated, as it is often difficult to know which symptoms are new when a physician with whom he is unfamiliar is treating him.
We don't know if individuals with chronic or long-term central nervous system problems are more susceptible to decompression illness. It does raise a concern that if DCI occurs, will the pre-existing illness be made worse by any additional injury?
Finally, we do not have a storehouse of data on the effects of scuba diving (or more specifically, the effects of high partial pressures of nitrogen) on the illnesses and diseases mentioned in this article. It would be unethical to perform experimental dives on individuals for the purpose of determining the risk of permanent or disabling injury for any given neurological disease.
That is why we have selected DAN's Southwest Regional Coordinator Dr. Hugh Greer, a practicing diving medicine neurologist and former Underwater Demolitions Team (UDT) officer, to write on the topic of CNS considerations in scuba diving. His many years of evaluating and treating divers provide him with the knowledge and experience we need in order to answer questions in a very mater-of-fact fashion.
Whether you have experienced one of these conditions or have a student who has mentioned a central nervous system disorder, the decision to accept the risk of scuba diving with that condition should be an informed decision. And keep in mind that the assumption of risk is not purely personal: individuals with a CNS disorder must also be willing to let their buddies know that they have a condition that merits special consideration. In an emergency situation, it is assumed that a diver is capable of rendering assistance to a distressed buddy while underwater.
- Joel Dovenbarger, BSN, Vice President, DAN Medical Services

Cerebral Vascular Accident
Condition: Stroke, or loss of blood supply to the brain, causes damage to part of the brain, or bleeding from a blood vessel in the brain, which results in similar injury. Strokes come in all sizes and shapes, and the resulting disability depends on size and location of the event.

Fitness & Diving:
  1. Most strokes occur in older people. The stroke itself identifies the person as one who has advanced arterial disease, thus a higher expectation of further stroke or heart attack.
  2. The extent of disability caused by the stroke (e.g., paralysis, vision loss) may determine fitness to dive.
  3. Vigorous exercise, lifting heavy weights and using the Valsalva method for ear-clearing when diving all increase arterial pressure in the head and may increase the likelihood of a recurrent hemorrhage.
  4. While diving itself entails exposure to elevated partial pressures and elevated hydrostatic pressure, it does not cause stroke.
  5. There is certainly increased risk in diving for someone who has experienced a stroke. Exceptional circumstances may exist, such as cerebral hemorrhage in a young person in whom the faulty artery has been repaired with little persisting damage. This type of recovery may permit a return to diving, with small risk. Each instance, however, requires a case-by-case decision, made with the advice of the treating physician, family and diving partners. Consulting a neurologist familiar with diving medicine is also advisable.
  6. There is a similar concern for significant residual symptoms, as with post brain tumor surgery.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------END-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since it has been reported that the victim may have a history of stroke, also known as Transient Ischemic Attack, I thought this article might be of interest. And being in the medical field it was of interest to me.
The Bolded part is my emphasis. Hopefully, the DM was well informed. Otherwise she was working under a great handicap.

I took some time to look at Meg Divers photos although theres not much I could deduce from them, I get the feeling that the group was pretty much scattered over the reef, (hardly an ideal situation on a wall dive) which perhaps explains why no other diver could (a) Possibly assist or (b) at least alert the Inst. (or attempt to alert) at the front somewhere, as to the issue unfolding behind.

Perhaps I missed it, but I dont recall any info on the number of divers in the water at the time, if we exclude the DM #3 who was assigned soley to Mr & Mrs Woods I understand there was 2 other DM's / Inst. in the water at the time??

With this info, I would wonder about the ratio of in water DM'S to divers?. That they (DM's) were not alerted or informed of the issue seems to imply a group scattered over a fairly large dive area (I call it a "same ocean buddy dive") and is another issue I have here, the dive was in all accounts on a wall edge,and although I am in agreement that all "qualified divers" are responsible for themselves, the dive had a higher risk ratio than say a flat bottom at 18m (60ft) the chances of someone going over the edge and dropping lower than expected (with possible other issues) is much higher, and I would have liked a fairly high "in water" DM to diver ratio and a fairly tight group control whilst in the wall edge vicinity, irrespective of the groups experience or qualification.

I must also say, I am further inclined only to "Meg Divers" reports,to me they appear factual and to the point, no axe to grind and no favourites implied.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom