Bahamas: Missing Female Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I share your Northern California roots but I fail to see what that changes.

Holding onto two divers can be very difficult.

jon lines.

one clipped to each.

:wink:

Why does this image suddenly come to mind? :D

dog_walker.jpg

I share your Northern California roots but I fail to see what that changes.

It may not be a factor--I'm just trying to determine what standard practices private DiveMasters should adhere to. I've never seen in-water DiveMasters holding tanks or hands. That could be due to locale (which based on your post, it doesn't seem to be), due to lack of experience of DiveMasters at higher-risk sites (my only experience watching in-water DiveMasters has been at relatively benign locations), or any number of other reasons. Since I don't know how often DiveMasters should hold tank/hands, I'm trying to understand it better. I could ask my DM course instructor when we meet later this week, but ScubaBoard has spoiled me with instant gratification. :)

Interesting--that's unexpected for me as a standard operating procedure for supervising a newly certified diver. I'm probably betraying my Northern California experience bias again, but I haven't seen that sort of direct control applied to new divers. How widespread is this practice and what is the experience level you would require of a diver before observing them from nearby instead of in direct contact?

In most of the Northeast US and Canada, the DM/DiveCon probably isn't on the boat and in any case, doesn't get in the water unless special arrangements are made.

This means that the divers are personally responsible for their own safety and so far, it's worked nicely. Divers tend to be much more conservative when they know they're on their own.

The recent fatalities have been in tropical locations where the DM routinely gets in the water with the divers.

Terry

...I haven't seen that sort of direct control applied to new divers. How widespread is this practice and what is the experience level you would require of a diver before observing them from nearby instead of in direct contact?

I've observed instructors and DM's "assist" new vacation divers in this fashion (hand on the tank valve, holding hands).

I've done the same thing with brand new dive buddies who were having bouyancy issues.

I think it is more a factor of how much bouyancy control the diver exhibits that would lead a DM or Instructor to decide to maintain physical contact "just in case".

What you may be observing where you dive in Northern California is divers who dive more regularly and thus have better bouyancy control, and not tropical "vacation" divers who may only dive a few times a year, if even that frequently.

Best wishes

Since I don't know how often DiveMasters should hold tank/hands, I'm trying to understand it better. I could ask my DM course instructor when we meet later this week, but ScubaBoard has spoiled me with instant gratification. :)

I think that if this is a practice that is having to occur often, someone should be re-evaluating skills or choice of dive sites.

I could understand if a normally benign site suddenly experiences heavier than normal current, or lower than normal viz due to environmental reasons, but if a DM does this as a matter of course, either they are doing a poor job choosing the dive site, or a poor job filtering the skill level of the divers they are taking out.

IMO it should be the exception, not the rule.

Due to my wifes low cert level they probably feel she needs the added assurence, perhaps this couples apparent ease in the water had the DM feeling they were ok.

Sorry,but has this ever happened to any of you ?

Meg Diver,
Regardless of some people and their comments in support or against you, it is important for you to be able to de-brief in a supportive environment. :shakehead:

Critical Incident Stress is a factor that we all learn about in Rescue Diver class, and I am sure you are going through this. This can happen to the individuals whom directly participated in the rescue and others that were bystanders.

If you feel any symptoms of depression, guilt, anxiety, denial, etc. ; please heed to my advise to seek professional counseling. This can easily turn into Post Traumatic Stress Disorder if not carefully monitored.

Thank you for your story, and my prayers are with the family, friends, rescuers, and charter boat patrons who witnessed this tragedy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom