Bahamas mid-March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations. We are going to Paradise Island Bahamas mid March.
I have one daughter who is scuba certified - which dive center(s) would you recommend.
One daughter wants to get certified - do you know any dive centers that offer the full certification over a few days? Is that advisable or should she do the classwork/pool work at home then do the deep water dives on vacation?
TIA

Can't speak to the Bahamas. I'll let others respond re: dive centers.
But as for getting certified while on vacation, in my opinion the best route is through what is called a "referral." Find out which shop you want her to certify with, and which diving organisation they are associated with (e.g., PADI, SSI, etc.).
Then find a local shop in your area that uses the SAME organization and start now. The online work or textbook work and videos takes about 2 weeks at a leisurely pace. You can do it faster or slower. Then two days of pool dives at your local shop. Tell them from the start that you'll be a referral. The open water dives are usually charged separately anyway.
Your daughter will need to being her referral form documenting successful completion of the text and pool work, as well as a medical form (identical to the one she started with in the pool). With that, she can finish her certification in two days on vacation, and then join her sister, perhaps, for some more diving after.
It's possible to do everything over there, but she might be disappointed at spending part of her vacation learning theory instead of lying on the beach.

rsingler is definitely right about getting certified as that is the easiest way to go about it. As far as the best dive shop in the Bahamas....even though it has been a few years for me being there, I had a really good experience with Stuarts Cove. I stayed at Paradise Island myself and they picked us up right at the hotel and dropped us off later. Here is a link for the shop:

stuartcove.com

Agree with them both. Of course the ideal way (IMO) is to do the whole thing at home so you just dive on vacation. But that is not always practical or desirable.

Back
Top Bottom