Bahamas and Passport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys and Gals,

Rather than speculating on things most of you have absolutely no idea about, or are relating it to travel years ago, there is such a thing as a search engine.

Here is a passage from the US Department of State website:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

* December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
* December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

I thought there was an additional phase to be implemented on December 31, 2005. Is this a change?

In April 2005, the Departments of State (DOS) and Homeland Security (DHS) announced a proposed plan to be implemented in three phases beginning on December 31, 2005 for the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative. After further review and considering the delay in publishing the public notice in the Federal Register, DOS and DHS recognized that implementing the December 31, 2005, phase would be problematic for travelers during the upcoming winter tourism season. This change will simplify the implementation and provide a longer lead-time for travelers to come into compliance with the requirements.

As far as travelling, anywhere, and not having a passport, it should be at your own risk. Heck, diving is expensive anyway. I don't personally know may people that dive routinely that can't afford the $97 to get a passport or the extra $60 to get the thing expidited. As stated before, your passport is good for 10 years. That's about $9.70 per year. Cut out a pizza a year and you can get a passport:wink:

Just my opinion. If you are going to travel abroad - anywhere, including Mexico, get a passport...

Some additional info...

How do I get a passport?

United States citizens can visit the State Department’s travel website www.travel.state.gov, or call the U.S. National Passport Information Center: 1-877-4USA-PPT; TDD/TTY: 1-888-874-7793.

You should allow yourself a sufficient amount of time to apply and receive your passport in advance of travel. Please allow 6 weeks for processing of your passport application if you apply from inside the U.S. If you need to travel urgently and require a passport sooner, please visit http://www.travel.state.gov for additional information. Overseas passport processing times vary; you should contact the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for specific information.

Peak domestic passport processing is between January and July. For faster service, we recommend applying between August and December.

Foreign nationals should contact their respective governments to obtain passports.

Al Mialkovsky:
When leaving Nassau last Nov passport was not required, I believe it is now. But those without passports took a couple of hours to get through customs, I spent 5 minutes and 4 minutes was spent talking about scuba. No one else was in that line.

When we left Nassau in February, there were "two" lines, but it was the same line at the beginning and end. It made no difference if one had a passport or not (we did). I've had a passport since I was born (US military brat overseas) as has my wife (same reason). I've always marvelled at people willing to try international travel without one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom