Bahamas and Passport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just bite it and get the darn thing. My daughter had been waffling on this for a couple of years, and I finally spent the bucks and paid for it for her recent birthday. Now she has it, and is free to run. I agree that they are kind of expensive, but they won't get any cheaper, and are good for 10 years. Besides, compared with what we spend to engage in this waterlogged hobby, the passport is peanuts! Go for it now, before you need it.eyebrow

Haven't been there in a while. Made several trips there in the 90's and a valid US Drivers License was all you needed.

Actually though, you'd be better off going ahead and getting a passport anyway and then not having to worry about it.

'Slogger

The requirement actually changes 12/31/05. So on 1/1/07 you will need a passport.

the thing is Airtran, I'd be pissed. The birth certificate is still legal (as of right now).

BTW... don't go waiting until December and try to get your passport. They will be SWAMPED with people trying to get them then. I'm betthing the wait will be 3 months to get one around that time.

I thank all the folks who have taken the time to reply to my passport question. From the two types of responses you can see from where my confusion arises. Guess I'll see how much it'll cost me to not have to think about it; especially since I'll be going from US to Bahamas to Jamaica (thru Miami of course).

When I've done US to Jamaica to Cancun trips during the past couple of summers, I did get asked at customs what I did for a living and the dogs sniffed me a bit. I'll do anything to avoid that rubber glove coming out!

I traveled the old-school way before I got my passport, with driver's license and birth certificate....can you say "HASSLE..GREAT BIG HASSLE"? Since passport is going to be a requirement and it is good for, what is it, 10 years....I would go ahead and get one. It is much easier and far less hassle with one.

Beat the crowds and get your passport now. I agree with bennedc, it's alot easier to carry your passport that having to display two or three documents.

Go passport. When leaving Nassau last Nov passport was not required, I believe it is now. But those without passports took a couple of hours to get through customs, I spent 5 minutes and 4 minutes was spent talking about scuba. No one else was in that line.

Back
Top Bottom