Bagging up our Sand.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
When a Strong Norte occurs it pulls lots of sand off our beach at the Villa Aldora To reduce the loss, which is difficult to replace, we fill most of it in sandbags for storage. I suspect other waterfront properties do the same.

Well, this storm passing off to Cozumel's East tonight and tomorrow is more of a problem than just sand. With a strong NW wind the diving will most likely be closed for all of Wednesday. The good news is there is a chance that Thursday might open for diving, with Friday clear. So it should be a short one.

DAVE DILLEHAY

Does this mean that you are not allowed to replace lost sand with anything other than sand you have bagged off your property? I'm curious how oceanfront properties deal with the loss of sand which, obviously, can greatly affect value and bookings... Just look at what the Occidental resort is having to deal with. They've lost so much beach that their pool is at great risk of falling into sea!

Actually it is, for the Villa Aldora, more of an economic problem. You see, the only way to legally replace sand is to buy it from the municipal government at ridiculous prices. Much better to pay the labor to bag it!

Dave Dillehay

Much better to pay the labor to bag it!
I'm from Florida and many people are filling sand bags for excess rainfall. Some have a " Wall " of bags. If you get a chance, can you post a picture of your sand bags ?

This pict was from a house last year in my town.

Sandbags-Orlando.jpg

We just place the bags on the side of the property. WE get no surge at all, even from the great Wilma storm of 2005...the water is too deep to allow surge to push up. It is the waves that wash off the sand, and our concrete structures are impervious to the waves for the most part...no protection needed.

DAVE DILLEHAY

Does this mean that you are not allowed to replace lost sand with anything other than sand you have bagged off your property? I'm curious how oceanfront properties deal with the loss of sand which, obviously, can greatly affect value and bookings... Just look at what the Occidental resort is having to deal with. They've lost so much beach that their pool is at great risk of falling into sea!
Some years back, a couple of businesses on the west side decided to get some sand from the east beaches. They must have used an invisible dump truck because they drove through the security checkpoint that was there at night. There was some uproar later about under the table payoff to officials for this illegal grab of sand after photos were posted online.

Back
Top Bottom