Baggage scale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LynnB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone used or purchased a scale that weighs your bags? We are going to Roatan and wasnt to make sure that our baggage is within the proper weight before we get to the airport.
I have seen them in one dive shop and was wondering if it was worth the purchase.
Thanks
Lynn

Yup, use one like this all the time.

at home we just use our regular scale. If it's too awkward stand on the scale with the bag, then subtract your weight.

we travel with this scale - Luggage Scale - Magellan's Travel Supplies

It's not all that accurate, reads a few pounds light on a 50# bag so we keep that in mind. I don't recall if it was always that way or drifted over time. It's also next to impossible to read at the same time you're hoisting a big bag with it, so it's usually a 2-person job. (Though it looks like the newer version has a needle to record the weight so you don't have to read it at the same time as lifting.) The newer digital scales are designed so they can be used by one person. Whether they will stay more accurate who knows.

I looked at their website and they show the newer ones which is the same as they sell in the dive shop. The price is the same $25 but wondering if the less expensive is just as good.
Thanks for the reponses. Think I will get one or the other as I don't want to go over on weight.
The newer ones read out after you put the luggage down. It's a toss up.....

We've checked ours using free weights and found it to be a little off at the low end of the scale, but darn close where it matters. Small and light enough that we can pack it with us. It's one thing to be close to the weight limit at the start of the trip, but you still have to bring your stuff back with you and more times than not it is still a bit wet and heavier. Nothing like the convenience of checking the weight and moving stuff around.

Heck, I've used it to weight my propane tanks - used in this weekend in fact to weigh the tanks on the trailer to ensure I had enough propane.

That's funny.... yes and you always bring back more than you go with, which I will take into account before leaving. So you would just go with the one like you have which is less expensive?

Well by the time I buy that one and pay the shipping I might as well buy the newer one here. That was one can read it.
thanks for the information.
Have you been to Roatan? We are going in a about 3 weeks and can't wait!

I use one for all trips. It's guaranteed that my bags will be overweight otherwise. Also use smaller scale to weigh individual items, to help in the culling process. It's helpful to understand the details of why the bag is so heavy, and what items make a real difference. Of course, sometimes, they still weight too much, and there really isn't anything I want to leave behind. That means paying charges for extra bag.

Also found that switching from rolling dive bag to simple duffel can save 7 lbs, enough for the pony rig.

We just bought the light weight rollers....i don't think i will have to take much in the way of clothes as I just plan on diving and roatan seems pretty laid back..can't wait

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom