Baggage Fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For $350 a year fee, I get elite access, two free checked bags and a full presidents club membership with my United Chase Presidential Plus card. Well worth the fee for the perks if you do a lot of traveling.

Just did a weigh-in for my Chuuk/Palau Tech Diving Trip on United Airlines tomorrow with a Balanzza Hand Scale (and darn near gave myself a hernia):

Three checked-in luggage, each weighing in respectively at 24kg/52lbs, 28kg/62lbs & 29kg/64lbs; and a carry-on at 14kg/30lbs. Bags full of camera, doubles BP/W and Sidemount kits --with eight sets of regulators. Probably looking at $600 to $800 in excess baggage fees for economy class. . .

(I think I'm not going to bring the X-scooter weighing in at an additional 40kg/90lbs). . .

:confused:

Thank you Don. That is very helpful. Too late to order from ebay but I found one at Walmart that could be ordered online and picked up locally. Much appreciated.

Be sure to use it on the return trip. Damp gear sometimes puts you over the limit and repacking bags on the floor in the airport is no fun....

Just did a weigh-in for my Chuuk/Palau Tech Diving Trip on United Airlines tomorrow with a Balanzza Hand Scale (and darn near gave myself a hernia):

Three checked-in luggage, each weighing in respectively at 24kg/52lbs, 28kg/62lbs & 29kg/64lbs; and a carry-on at 14kg/30lbs. Bags full of camera, doubles BP/W and Sidemount kits --with eight sets of regulators. Probably looking at $600 to $800 in excess baggage fees for economy class. . .

(I think I'm not going to bring the X-scooter weighing in at an additional 40kg/90lbs). . .

:confused:
You couldn't do that in 2 bags, so the 3rd is going to hurt - as are the overweight charges on 2, but you can get that 52# bag below limit.

$70 for second bag, $100 for third, $200 for 2 overweight = $370 if they use the same charges as Western Hemisphere. Their site does not quote charges for Eastern Hemisphere, says to call them. How lame.

How much to upgrade your ticket?

You couldn't do that in 2 bags, so the 3rd is going to hurt - as are the overweight charges on 2, but you can get that 52# bag below limit.

$70 for second bag, $100 for third, $200 for 2 overweight = $370 if they use the same charges as Western Hemisphere. Their site does not quote charges for Eastern Hemisphere, says to call them. How lame.

How much to upgrade your ticket?

8 sets of regs?! Redundancy is the name of the game in the tech diving world, eh? This is just for you?
All for me . . . deco regs plus two sets of doubles for backmount and sidemount.

The actual excess baggage fees for the above: $1470!!!

I feeling just a bit violated. . .:confused:

All for me . . . deco regs plus two sets of doubles for backmount and sidemount.

The actual excess baggage fees for the above: $1470!!!

I feeling just a bit violated. . .:confused:
I would too being it's well beyond the rules. How did that happen?

a few dive trips a year gets me silver elite on Delta, and along with my SkyMiles credit card, I get a 70lb and a 50lb bag free on every flight, and a third bag on most international flights.

I would too being it's well beyond the rules. How did that happen?

Receipt shows following items: 1 EXCESS BAG 200.00; 3 OVERSIZED BAG 200.00; 3 OVERWEIGHT BAG 50 TO 70lbs 200.00; SECOND CHECKED BAG MICRONESIA 70.00

USD 1470.00

That's the United merger for ya --Continental Airlines never ever reamed me for this much even when I did take the Xscooter along as well. . . !
:shakehead:

Receipt shows following items: 1 EXCESS BAG 200.00; 3 OVERSIZED BAG 200.00; 3 OVERWEIGHT BAG 50 TO 70lbs 200.00; SECOND CHECKED BAG MICRONESIA 70.00

USD 1470.00

That's the United merger for ya --Continental Airlines never ever reamed me for this much even when I did take the Xscooter along as well. . . !
:shakehead:
Wow! Their charges for Pacific flights are not listed on their site, you have to call, so hard to plan. All bags oversized too huh. I still wonder if upgrading the ticket would have been cheaper. Maybe you can sell half of it while there. :D Have a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom