Bad tank alloy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arkman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I brought my dads old Aluminum tanks in to get inspected and as soon as the LDS saw them he expressed concern. Apparently they are tanks from the early 80's and are made of a bad alloy. He had a bulletin that stated to take these tanks out of service and had a few model (for lack of a better term) numbers to which it applied. My tanks didn't carry that number but he was still concerned.

After talking with him for a while he opened it up and did a quick visual and told me that they had a very small bit of corrosion. He showed me but he said it was extremely minimal and would probably pass any other tank that had that problem, but since it was from the maker and time frame of the suspect alloy he didn't feel comfortable. He offered to have them hydro'd (because they need it) but said he wasn't even sure if they would accept them because of the alloy.

If my tanks are bad thats fine. I'd rather not dive with them. But I sort of get the feeling that they are not made from the suspect alloy. Since the bulletin had all sorts of tank model numbers (?) but mine wasn't one of them.

What do you all think of this? I'm not familiar with tank manufacturers and inspection procedures. I learned what they taught us in the OW class and have gone back and re read the book a few times but since I've always rented I haven't realy had that "first hand" experience.

You face an uphill battle here....firstly if you do a GOOGLE-search (or search here on Scubaboard) you will find tons of info on those old/recalled AL tanks......I forget the details, but pretty much any Luxfer AL tank made before a certain date (maybe 1989, I forget) is pretty much garbage and your best bet is take them to a scrap yard for recycling. Even if they're not the 'suspect' tanks, many dives shops have a blanket/universal policy to not fill 'old' AL tanks...no matter what.....and the definition of 'old' is up to the dive shop that owns the compressor.....and while you can argue with them until you're blue in the face, you can't make them fill your tanks if they are convinced they don't want to.

I am sure that if you post the Make, size and original hydro date of these tanks somebody here will be able to tell you if they are made of the old alloy. That said if they are that old getting them filled will be an issue even if they do pass hydro and vis.

Caloosa Dive Club -- Scuba Diving

This web site has some general information about the questionable Luxfer tanks. There seems to be no agreement on whether or not they are safe to use. In addition to the hydro test they also require a visual eddy test which adds to the maintenance cost of the tank. Some folks believe that, under normal use, they are fine as long as they pass the VIP, hydro, and VE. Others think they are time bombs. Some dive shops will fill them and some won't. Personally I've come to the conclusion that I'll be better off with different tanks. I have three of these tanks made from the 6351-T6 alloy which are now basically just spare tank valves. Steel tanks have exploded too, but I could not find percentages. I'm not sure but I think that "sustained load" means leaving them for several years at 3000 psi. Mine are usually at the pressure for only a few days.

If the tanks are made from 6351-T6 alloy, they MIGHT be legal if you do the eddy test, but it is probably not worth the hassle you will have. On the other hand, if the tanks were made by Catalina, they are NOT 6451-T6, and there should be no problem (as long as they pass the hydro and visual). But some dive shops may still refuse to fill them. If you have trouble with your LDS, you could sell them, since it is a well known fact that Catalina tanks do not have the problem.

Thanks guys. I can't remember what the make is...i think it started with an M. I know it wasn't luxfer but I do know that he had a list with luxfer and then my tank manufacture. I just can't remember what my tanks were.

I figured it was a lost cause, and I'm certainly not interested in trying to find some shady person to refill if they are not supposed to be used. Not worth it.

I was just curious about getting a bit more info. I dont like to just except NO for an answer, I need to know WHY too.

OK, i just did some searching and remember that the LDS called them kiddie but i think there was a W name first.

Not that it probably makes much difference, I figure like you all said, probably not worth the hassle.

Kiddie fire extinguishers....... Look them up in your local phone book. Find a fire extinguisher shop that not only refills the extinguishers but also hydros the fire extinguishers.. Call them and ask what other services they can provide you, such as eddy and viz inspection. I doubt they also fill with air. If they can do all that for you and also give you some kind of acknowledgement in writing that they are good to go and that there is nothing wrong with them. Take them and the documentation back to the LDS and ask for an air fill. If they still refuse, I'd find another LDS....
But that's me. Good luck

Aluminum Walter Kidde tanks, in that era, were mostly made from 6351. It is not worth the hassle to have them hydro'd ; when the time comes that you want them refilled, you very likely will find the shop refusing to fill them. Take the ~ $ 30. they are worth in scrap metal & put that towards new tanks, and enjoy them in confidence.

X2. All Walter Kidde tanks are 6351 alloy, subject to neck cracking problems. There are procedures to hydro and use them, but many dive shops (and me) won't fill them, because filling them requires the use of a containment fill station. These were not old fire extinguishers, but were scuba cylinders. The finest possible use for them is to re-cycle them into beer cans, and go get yourself something you can use. Learn how to tell which cylinders are the suspect kind, and you can get some pretty good deals on Craig's list.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom