Bad news on my old Conshelf SE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

headhunter

Renaissance Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My dive shop was just doing service on my reg and just called me to let me know that my regulator has a hairline crack on the 2nd stage where the low pressure hose screws in.

It's a Conshelf SE that I bought in the mid-80's. I believe it came with a lifetime warranty on it, but I can't remember for sure. I plan on calling Aqualung on Monday (I understand that they now own that line of equipment).

Is there someone out there on SB that remembers this reg and whether it actually came with a lifetime warranty? I'd like to be a bit more solid on that fact before I speak with them on Monday.

Thanks.

Christian (aka regless in LA)

jlyle:
Yes, it came with a lifetime warranty, but you had to have it serviced once a year and keep records in order to keep it current.
Thanks.

I don't have any records anymore for any of that stuff. I've moved a couple of times and lost some of the paperwork that goes back 20 years along the way.

Besides that crack, the shop commented that it has obviously been taken care of and shows no real signs of abuse.

Any suggestions on how I might handle this with Aqualung, so as not to end up just tossing the old reg and having to spend some big bucks on new equipment?

I welcome any comments from anyone on that question.

Thanks.

Christian

all the documentation for the lifetime warranty, they'll probably take a pass on replacing it. You really have no case for having them do anything. It's old gear and you've certainly gotten your money's worth out it. I wouldn't waste any energy fighting the warranty battle.

I milked 20 years of use out of a used Poseidon reg, but eventually it had repair issues and needed to be retired. Why not just take the opportunity to upgrade your equipment?

There's some high-performance regs out there that won't bankrupt you. Plus, getting new gear always inspires me to dive more.

C'mon, help the economy, buy some new stuff...

cyklon_300:
all the documentation for the lifetime warranty, they'll probably take a pass on replacing it. You really have no case for having them do anything. It's old gear and you've certainly gotten your money's worth out it. I wouldn't waste any energy fighting the warranty battle.

I milked 20 years of use out of a used Poseidon reg, but eventually it had repair issues and needed to be retired. Why not just take the opportunity to upgrade your equipment?

There's some high-performance regs out there that won't bankrupt you. Plus, getting new gear always inspires me to dive more.

C'mon, help the economy, buy some new stuff...
Thanks for the info.

I'm going to drive on down to my LDS right now and see what new reg I might decide on.

It's still worth a call to Aqualung, just in case. I might just get someone on the phone who's in a good mood.

Christian

oxyhacker:
Have they checked to see if a new case is available?
I just asked my LDS about that and they are going to call Aqualung on Monday and see if there is a replacement housing for it. We don't expect that there will be and hope that they will just sell me a new one as an "upgrage" for cheap. It's worth a try anyway.

Otherwise, I'll just put an octopus 2nd stage on it for now. I was planning to replace the whole thing in the future anyway, but that would save a little money now and later I could use it on a stage bottle.

Thanks.

Christian

Aqualung used to have new box bottoms from all the conshelf range.

In particular the octopus regulators often failed at the inlet fitting and up until a few years ago (about 4 was the last time I got a service reg).

You should be able to get the part if look around.

My-way:
Aqualung used to have new box bottoms from all the conshelf range.

In particular the octopus regulators often failed at the inlet fitting and up until a few years ago (about 4 was the last time I got a service reg).

You should be able to get the part if look around.
Thanks that sounds encouraging.

Christian

Aqualung shold still have the boxes in stock if not PM me I'll Ship you one. We have several in stock.

Hallmac

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom