Bad news on my old Conshelf SE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hallmac:
Aqualung shold still have the boxes in stock if not PM me I'll Ship you one. We have several in stock.

Hallmac
Thanks!

I'll let my LDS check with Aqualung tomorrow and if they come up empty I'll PM you.

Christian

That's weird. I just serviced that same reg with the exact same problem on the octo. This one had it on the hose connection and on the plug on the opposite side. I called Aqualung to find out that I only had to fill out a warranty form and have it sent out to me for no charge. And no, like many others in this class, it was not in warranty either. Your LDS should be able to get one for you provided they are an authorized dealer. I was pleasantly surprised

rescuediver009:
That's weird. I just serviced that same reg with the exact same problem on the octo. This one had it on the hose connection and on the plug on the opposite side. I called Aqualung to find out that I only had to fill out a warranty form and have it sent out to me for no charge. And no, like many others in this class, it was not in warranty either. Your LDS should be able to get one for you provided they are an authorized dealer. I was pleasantly surprised
Thanks for the input rescuediver009. I'm going to relay that info to my LDS (who is an authorized dealer, by the way). They may not have made the call to Aqualung yet and it's always helpful to have that kind of info.

Christian

It's not really an uncommon problem. If the plastic gets brittle, it's easy to crack the housing when rebuilding the reg. So, sometimes it's the tech's fault when he overtightens the inlet fitting. Of course, I doubt you'll get the tech to admit it's his fault. Even so, the housing is about $20 retail and is still available.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

My LDS is getting the new housing from Aqualung.

Aqualung wouldn't do it for free unless I could send them the original receipt. Although I might be able to find it after searching through MANY boxes in the garage, I didn't think it was worth it. As Zaphod pointed out, it is a very inexpensive piece. Launching an all out search for the receipt would be "jumping over dollars to pick up pennies".

So... problem solved, reg salvaged.

Christian

rescuediver009:
what order did the regs come in?

conshelf se2, se3, conshelf-21,????

headhunter:
has a hairline crack on the 2nd stage )

There was a recall on this reg in the 80's for that reason. I had my case replaced in 1988. You must have missed it. The case should have been replaced free of charge a long time ago by Aqualung, had you taken it to a LDS anytime within the last 18 years!!!

But many LDS have not been around for 18 years, so it is not surprising.

HH, I have several old bodies lying around. Take a pic of the inside and send it to me. I might be able to deal with it for you.

I'd second the comment that the most likely cause was the rebuild itself. If they are not serviced annually or are overtightened, the inlet fitting can be hard to remove and if you do not support both ends of the fitting the stress can crack the second stage body itself.

Aqualung is generally very good at stocking parts and does a good job of warranty support.

But oddly enough our Aqualung sales rep called last week and complained that our sales were down. He noted that we seemed to be buying of Conshelf service kits and were obviously servicing a lot of older Conshelf regulators and commented that we should be selling new regulators to the owners of those old Conshelfs. The LDS owner was not impressed.

Back
Top Bottom