Bad experience on my first dive with strong current

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Were you submerged while pulling hand over hand from stern to bow on tag line? If not, then this is where your overexertion began. Best to be below surface pulling hand over hand with arms only. I always try to be first off boat for Duane, so I can be completely submerged while on the tag line. This can be more difficult with people in front and behind who are not submerged. They will keep the rope closer to the surface.

I was not - I was on the surface, breathing through a snorkel. I didn't realize being submerged would make it easier, so I'll definitely try that next time.

Had very similar conditions when I dove the Duane earlier this year. The dive master instructed everyone to use their snorkels when moving along the tag line. This just did not make any sense to me. With that much chop, current and people it seemed anyone using a snorkel would have a hard time keeping it above the water. Long story short, only 2 divers out of 12 used their snorkel, one of them being my wife. Halfway to decent line (still on the tag) she reached a fairly high state of anxiety and decided to switch to her regulator which at that point was difficult for her to reach without assistance due to the current wanting to rip it away from her. I called the dive as I couldn't foresee the situation improving in those conditions. She now understands why I keep my reg clipped to my shoulder and why my backup is around my neck. For many, myself included, experience is a necessary part of reasoning and retention.

Had very similar conditions when I dove the Duane earlier this year. The dive master instructed everyone to use their snorkels when moving along the tag line. This just did not make any sense to me. With that much chop, current and people it seemed anyone using a snorkel would have a hard time keeping it above the water. Long story short, only 2 divers out of 12 used their snorkel, one of them being my wife. Halfway to decent line (still on the tag) she reached a fairly high state of anxiety and decided to switch to her regulator which at that point was difficult for her to reach without assistance due to the current wanting to rip it away from her. I called the dive as I couldn't foresee the situation improving in those conditions. She now understands why I keep my reg clipped to my shoulder and why my backup is around my neck. For many, myself included, experience is a necessary part of reasoning and retention.

I know some people like to use a snorkel, but I don't dive with one attached to my mask. I keep mine rolled up in a pocket on my dive shorts. I do prefer to traverse the tag line with regulator, but I do understand why people use a snorkel to conserve air. For me though, I prefer a more relaxed, submerged pulling that can only be accomplished with a reg in one's mouth. Kicking burns too much air and is tiring for me. I also dive the Duane with a steel 100 and a 19 pony, so that's not really ever been an issue.

Under heavy exertion, does the increased dead space from the snorkel contribute to early fatigue?

Had very similar conditions when I dove the Duane earlier this year. The dive master instructed everyone to use their snorkels when moving along the tag line. This just did not make any sense to me. .

That's because it doesn't make any sense. The amount of gas used at the surface is nominal, although if a diver is breathing heavily from the exertion, and they don't pause before descending, his or her gas use is going to go up rather quickly at depth. Using a snorkel can expose the diver to exactly the risky conditions your wife faced on her dive. Lots of risk for little to no gain. And most of us don't have our regulators clipped off to our shoulder - can you explain your set up?: so we've got to let it go if we need to use both hands on the line. That DM needs remedial training.

I don't agree that using a snorkel is a bad idea. It somewhat depends on the length of the boat and the swim to the anchor/ mooring line. If you can do it quick in 90 seconds or something, then I would probably just use a regulator. But a diver who is planning to dive to 100 plus feet in a strong current, really should be able to use a snorkel and switch back and forth to the regulator.

If it is going to take longer than 90 seconds or so to make the anchor line,, then I would probably try to take my time and use a snorkel and not waste air. The idea that the diver should swim from the stern to the bow and then rest (or pause) on the anchor line or the mooring ball in rough conditions (as described by the OP) is probably not going to work very well. On a large boat in good seas, the anchor line is heaving up and down and it can be somewhat violent and scary and if there is a strong current, if the diver accidentally lets go, they can be immediately swept under the bow and get their head smashed by the bow. This is not an exaggeration. In general, hanging out in a current in rough seas immediately in front of a boat (at the surface) is something to be avoided.

It would make more sense to bust your butt to get to the anchor line and get down 20 feet and then rest there for a minute or so where you are much safer and not getting slammed around so much.

I'm late to this party, but here's my take on it. I choose to dive in high currents so am used to it.

1. Surface swim with snorkel: I only ever use one when required by standards. The DM (my guess) instructed people to keep a snorkel in to prevent them getting a mouthful of water. I personally keep my reg in, but on the surface breathe around it (so loosely hold it in my mouth)

2. I hate surface swims. If I can fin on my back, then just beneath the surface (keeping tabs on the line) Obviously hard to do on a guided group where everyone is moving at different speeds.

3. A decent set of fins never hurts either.

4. Relaxing at the surface, is important - but then holding at the surface can be stressful, being just under the surface and descending slowly while getting yourself together is possibly the best.

5. Problems descending - it shouldn't be, as you should be negative. My guess (assuming you were correctly weighted) is either that there was still air in your BCD - not fully dumped as you made a quick descent. Also, because you were stressed, your diaphragm would have dropped (a reflex) giving you greater lung volume, and combined with heavy breathing made you more buoyant.

6. Breathing hard and fast through reg - I personally hav regs where I can adjust the breathing resistance, I would turn them down to hard if I was over breathing OR I'll restrict the flow by placing my tongue near the mouthpiece (not fully blocking it) This is just to stop the runaway scenario where you breath faster and faster - the breaths becoming more shallow with less O2 and more CO2 retention. Then try to think "happy thought"

The latter isn't' easy, you were clearly outside of your comfort zone and clearly stressed especially at the bow. (I love it when the current is strong enough to make my mask vibrate - hooked on with a line) It's clear as you drifted you regained your composure.

The only way to get used to currents is exposure to them, they can be very unnerving at first because you feel so out of control. When I started, my wife use to make me fin through (what I felt then were) strong currents. I'd use 50% om the air bitching at her through my regs. when I look back to what we do now, my early currents weren't currents at all.

If you are nervous another time, consider a 1:1 Dm so you can take things at your own pace. You'll probably be more mentally prepared next time, but as always if in doubt don't dive. Diving is supposed to be a pleasure

..... And most of us don't have our regulators clipped off to our shoulder - can you explain your set up?

Having your primary clipped to your right shoulder d-ring when not in use (and your second around your neck) is the standard setup for GUE and DIR dive styles. I attached an image from google below. Clipping and unclipping without looking takes a bit of practice to become a motor skill, but well worth it IMO. On a side note, there many other great divers on this board that can elaborate on the setup much better than I can!
upload_2018-10-29_12-38-5.png

I will not mention my Duane dive where we had absolute slack current top to bottom. :)

But had a ripping upper current on the Spiegel. One thing I found reduced exertion on the anchor line is to relax my arms. Found myself with a bit of deco obligation coming up and needed to spend an extra 10 minutes playing flag at 15 ft. I locked my hands and relaxed my arms and the rest of my body. Took very little exertion during the stop.

I will not mention my Duane dive where we had absolute slack current top to bottom. :)

But had a ripping upper current on the Spiegel. One thing I found reduced exertion on the anchor line is to relax my arms. Found myself with a bit of deco obligation coming up and needed to spend an extra 10 minutes playing flag at 15 ft. I locked my hands and relaxed my arms and the rest of my body. Took very little exertion during the stop.
A Jon Line is even better. I have also been on Duane, and on the Spiegel Grove, with no current. Sometimes you are given a gift, take advantage of it. Both wrecks have plenty of coverage for high current days

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom