Bad Day at the Spiegel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freedive

Contributor
Reaction score
Well at least for me it was and I'll have to add at little embarrassing.
These were supposed to be my last two deep/shipwreck dives to complete my AOW certification that due to weather and class scheduling I've been waiting 3 weeks to complete. After having Saturdays dive cancelled due to 8 foot seas and ripping currents, I reschedule for Sundays trip hoping for better weather. I make the call Sunday and receive the news that seas are 3-5 with the occasional 6 footer but very light currents and the trip is on, with the added bonus that it will be a double dipper on the Spiegel. Well as Murphys Law goes we get out there and the seas are more like 4-6 with the occasional 8 footer and ripping currents. We decide to give it a go anyway the crew sets up the lines and away we go. Upon entering from the bow you had to make sure you grabbed the line quickly and pull your way to the buoy in order to descend. Unfortunatelly for me upon my entry, we took a wave the bow lifted and I missed the line. Before I could reach up for it again I was 5 feet from the line and drifting away. I began to kick back to the line but only made backward progress. I started kicking with everything I had to see if I could at least make som forward progress , nothing. They finally had to throw a line and two me back in because I the current was just to strong to swim against. I finally made it back to the line but after all that exertion I had used up a good bit of gas, I was breathing hard, and both my legs had cramped up. Now I'm a pretty good swimmer, super comfortable diving in most reasonable conditions and in decent shape (I do smoke though) and that 10 minute struggle back to the line wore the pants off me. I told my instrutor who was waiting by the line that I was calling my dive and proceeded back on the boat to work the cramps out of my legs and catch my breath. The boat was doing some pretty good rolling with the waves and I quickly found out that it is better to be in the water than on the boat. I was laying down stretching my legs trying to work the cramps out to be ready for the second dive when my stomach gave in to the rolling and I began to feed the fish over the side. Needless to say I wasn't ready when it was time to go in again and had to reluctantly bow out of the second dive. Although I wasn't the only one to miss the rope and certainly not the only unable to go back in for the second dive.
I guess it just wasn't my day because I have been out in rougher seas with no problems of seasickness and honestly I can remember the last time I fed the fish. I know I did the right thing in calling off both dives but I gotta tell you it sure was disappointing to do so.
Anyone else ever have a similar experience where things just did not go your way?

Juan

I can sympathize, Freedive. You made the right decision to call the dive. Remember, any diver can call a dive at any time, for any reason. Better to live to dive another day.

I was with the Scubaboard group just north of you on Saturday, and we got pretty beat up too, though not as bad as you guys at the SG.

Let me know if you need a dive buddy when you decide to finish that AOW. I'll be glad to dive with you. And over a beer or two, I'll tell you about my wife and I making the wrong decision about cancelling a dive on the Duane and paying for it with a dive accident that caused my wife to stop diving. Better to handle things the way you did.

-Grier

With the current that strong you were right to call the first dive.
With seasickness and conditions probably still not all that nice calling the second dive was a good move also.

"Sometimes I just call the DAY" :11ztongue

The only thing I would have done different was not gone at all.
I have a standing policy that if the seas are more than 5 ft. I don't get on the boat. Good luck next try.
Fred

yea, i was there with Grier's group, and we were in the "sheltered" side of the reef,
and man, those 8-footers took it out of you (though we had mostly 4-6)

i got sick as a dog and had to call the second dive. killed me to do it, but i just
wan'st up to it.

it's better to be in the boat wishing you were in the water than be in the water
wishing you were in the boat!

sorry about your dive andy, it is so iffy down there,especially when you drive that distance to get there it is frustrating. see you in the springs,

I think the ability to call a dive shows just just how great of a diver you really are. Learning things the hard way like I always tend to do (of course then again, I am a Murphy so that whole Murphy's Law thing really kicks my tush) I would now rather call a dive and live to dive again, then to take a chance when things are less favorable and maybe never dive again.

BTW, my hubby had a problem with seasickness in the worst way, he now wears the magic patch behind his ear and hasn't been bothered since (Transderm Scop.......by Rx only)

You made a good choice not to dive. I have been so sick before, I just couldn't get my gear on to dive. I also have had really bad leg cramp and I also exercise almost everyday.
Good luck finishing your AOW!!!!

Just remember, there will be dives just as good as this one was bad!!!!!!!!! :wink:

WOW.. you had a time didn't you?! My rule of thumb is that I dont go out in anything more than 3-4 unless I'm driving the boat. For some reason I can fall right off the bandwagon and be sick as a dog unless I'm driving the boat... when I'm in control, 7-8' no problem!

BTW, I think you did the right thing by calling it - the wreck will still be there, the water will still be wet, the fish will still be doing fish things.. there are better days for better dives - Sunday was not that day.

I too was with Grier and Andy on Saturday. ALthough I was sick as a dog, I still did the second dive. IT's been a long time since I have been seasick and that day really taught me a good lesson about listening to the sea. We really shouldn't have gone out. I forget sometimes that I live 45 minutes from Key LArgo and that there will be other days to dive. I think you were right to call the dive. I've called many due to bad weather and such. It shows that you really deserve that AOW cert. Good luck!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom