Bad Buddy... no cookie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm... I'm the bad buddy a lot because I'm a photographer. I do try to be mindful of where my buddy is and let people I'm diving with know that sometimes they'll need to poke me to make sure I'm still alive (slow diver).

Worst buddy by far was when I had about 20 dives (as did my normal buddy) and we were teaming up with a "pro" who'd "show us the ropes" because she had a whopping 40 dives... of course, she was showing us the ropes in Monterey, where we'd logged all of our 20 dives within about two months, and all her dives had been over 4 years in Cozumel, and she'd never dived Monterey. Naturally, we picked the worst possible day imaginable to dive with probably a 13' swell going on, bad vis, and major surge

Highlights:
1. Trying to talk us into going off Lovers, which was so blown out even the surfer's were avoiding it because she saw the standard float and ONE dive float way out in the water... to that effect, the ONE person dumb enough to dive it that day ended up in the paper the next day after he had to be rescued.
2. Making wild "NO" hand gestures after my regular buddy attempted to touch a bat star to show it to her as if he had just skinned a sea lion. It's a Monterey starfish in the middle of a storm getting pummelled by surge... it can handle a glove.
3. Hitting the wrong button on her BC, my grabbing her hand to try to get her back down... her continuing to hit the wrong button, her REFUSING to let go of my hand as I tried to yank it free (learned right then and there, always grab the GEAR), thus dragging me on an uncontrolled ascent. Upon popping out of the water like a cork, commences yelling at BC, totally unapologetic to me because "oh we weren't that deep".
4. Informs us post dive that we were "on the bottom" and "stirring up the silt" so much (vis was about 3-5', and surge was so strong we were clinging onto the bottom for dear life looking for some form of viable life to make dive interesting) that she couldn't see, and that she was just "letting us know" because no one in CO-zumel would dive with us wrecking the (sand) bottom like that, but we were "noobs" but we'd learn eventually.

In retrospect, should have gone to the aquarium... and thrown her in the shark tank.

Mostly, I've had good luck, including with instabuddies. I've dived with newbies plenty of times, and generally I'm surprised at how many have excellent buoyancy, good nav skills, decent air consumption, and are all around pleasant. I often enjoy diving with them more because they're still really excited about stuff.

Ishie:
4. Informs us post dive that we were "on the bottom" and "stirring up the silt" so much (vis was about 3-5', and surge was so strong we were clinging onto the bottom for dear life looking for some form of viable life to make dive interesting) that she couldn't see, and that she was just "letting us know" because no one in CO-zumel would dive with us wrecking the (sand) bottom like that, but we were "noobs" but we'd learn eventually.

That is so hilarious (aside from having a bad dive- which isn't funny at all). I dove in Monterrey about a year ago and had to pay for a private guide (since I couldn't find a buddy)- my private guide had another private guide-ee and the guide sort of left us both in the dust a few times... one of these times, the other guide-ee lost his weight belt and we were very close to the bottom- about 40 or 50 feet. I grabbed him and he grabbed the edge of his weight belt and we got to the bottom. The whole time he's trying to get this weight belt back on, I felt like I was committing a mortal sin! But the sandy bottom didn't muck up at all- it just settled right back down. If I'd been in a quarry in the same situation, I'd have still hit the bottom... but I WOULD have been committing a mortal sin! Sand is AWESOME!

Anyway- your comments really had me laughing... great post!

Thanks!

Yup, the sand in Monterey can be fun, so long as you don't land on an electric ray (might charge up your camera battery though). I *try* to stay off the bottom, but with that much surge, you're not going to really stir anything up, nor is there any concept of those "fine particles", nor particularly fragile sea life, for that matter.

That woman was something else... but we had 20 dives, thus the unattainable FORTY DIVES seemed so impressive. Heh.

Well, if you're in Monterey again, don't go pay a private guide. Go to the NorCal board or ba_diving and hit us up!

Ishie:
Well, if you're in Monterey again, don't go pay a private guide. Go to the NorCal board or ba_diving and hit us up!

OH I plan to! I try not to think of all the diving I MISSED before I found this board- with my schedule (trucking) it's hard to find a buddy whether I'm traveling or home. And the Dive Guy from my LDS went through a few years when every time we planned to go diving he was either injured or on medication (for back problems)... so I had to suffer the surface intervals...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom