Bad Buddy... no cookie!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oops, nice double negative. I meant to say sort of… “I also don’t feel that a new diver is a bad buddy if they are trying and attempting to do what they are supposed to be doing.”

The sentence still doesn’t seem correct.
Oh Well.
At least someone knew what I meant.

Soggy

SoggyShoes:
Oops, nice double negative. I meant to say sort of… “I also don’t feel that a new diver is a bad buddy if they are trying and attempting to do what they are supposed to be doing.”

Oh Well.

Soggy

How about "I feel that a new diver can be a good buddy as long as they make an honest attempt to do what they should be doing within the limits of their training." :D
Ber :lilbunny:

SoggyShoes:

Oh Well.

Soggy

I'm sorry- I didn't mean YOUR sentence sounded funny, I meant this one:

trucker girl:
So, I would have to agree with SoggyShoes on this.

I mean, where would you say something like that outside the strange world of message boards?

bradshsi:
Worst dive buddy pairing I had was not a pairing but someone who invited themselves along with my regular dive buddy and myself. This person was a photographer (and a very experienced diver). However he tagged along at the last minute with no agreed dive plan. Descending he immediately made off to photograph stuff. I didn't know what else to do but keep close so we spent the rest of the dive circling within vis range of him.

Not the most enjoyable dive. I don't like it when you have different goals (sightseeing vs photography). Plus threesomes are pretty horrible to monitor. I spent the whole dive twisting my head back and forth to check on both "buddies."

I know what you mean about the threesomes but many times I am the third wheel. If you are going to be a same ocean - same day buddy at least be courteous enough to tell the folks you are diving with so you won't ruin their dive and make sure they are OK with that.

My first dive after OW certification ended up being a solo dive. I was on vacation with my non-diving family and did not know any of the other divers in the assembled group.

Just before submerging it became very clear to me that my buddy had agreed to pair up with me just to placate the DM. Originally he and his two fiends had been grouped together but a late arriving diver seemed to confuse the buddy process. My buddy and his two friends were not rude but seemed to just have this fantasy of diving by themselves (I guess).

Anyway the DM told us to go to the bottom and land on something white---unless it was moving because that would be a shark. By the time I hit the bottom I did not have a buddy anymore.

Despite not having a buddy I had a great time. Maybe I am a solo diver at heart. The only time I missed having a buddy was when two reef sharks swam by and I realized that there was no around for me to out swim.

Sano:
The only time I missed having a buddy was when two reef sharks swam by and I realized that there was no around for me to out swim.

:Lol: :Lol: :Lol: :Lol:

Apparently this smiley thing is not working for me... HELLO! El Orans! Where are you- is it my computer? I can't click on the stupid smiley...

Whoops- don't take that "stupid smiley" thing personally okay.

Have only had one "bad" buddy amongst many pick-up buddies. Headstrong, wouldn't stay anywhere close, ignored the boat's depth limit, was like herding cats to get buddy back to the ascent line, didn't really want to signal how much air left, finally did and it wasn't much, then buddy took off, swam away at depth, and eventually made a no-safety-stop ascent astern of the boat. Out of a sense of self-preservation, I didn't follow. Buddy didn't see anything wrong with any of this, is probably athletic and "bend-resistant" enough to get away with it, but is going to get some other diver injured some day with that attitude and dive style.

I agree that a new diver who wants to learn, is candid about it, and is looking for guidance from others, doesn't qualify as "bad", just "new". New divers can be fun and rewarding to dive with. Bad divers aren't, unless your reward comes from having to deal with unexpected tense situations, and seeing how you do.

I've dove (diven, dived?) with new divers who I would totally dive with again. And I have dove with DM and instructors that you couldn't PAY me to dive with again...

I don't like the insta-buddy setup but sometimes that's what you have to deal with. You can tell a lot about a person on the boat, too. I wouldn't hesitate if I felt my instabuddy was dangerous or incompetent to pay a little extra for the boat's DM to dive with if possible. I just don't want to be responsible for someone else in that situation. It's enough to be responsible for yourself and to be able to assist should some emergency/situation arise. That's if your buddy is also responsible for him/herself. But if your buddy is a dolt then, IMO, the dive is over.

I've probably repeated myself here. I didn't go back through all the old posts again!

It all comes down to, "sure you can dive with me! surfacing, however, is another matter if you're a jerk!" I have no problems diving solo. Be an idiot or unsafe (same thing really) and I will.

Back
Top Bottom