Bad breathing gas on liveaboard trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, I have a few comments.

First, I am going to GUESS that perhaps these guys load their own filters to save money & maybe they left out the activated carbon that usually absorbs odors. Hopefully they included the Hopcalite that changes CO into CO2 along with the molecular sieve that absorbs moisture. This is just a guess.

Second, I would not breath any dive gas that didn't smell right, end of story.

Third, after draining the bad smelling tank, I would take the valve off & have a look inside. The last bad smelling tank I ran into had an oily film in it.

Fourth, I don't know why people are questioning if these guys should give a refund or not. I think that the real question is - should these guys be shut down & put out of business? I think probably yes. Even by my cowboy standards, knowingly allowing paying customers to dive on bad smelling gas that came from your compressor is not acceptable from a liability/safety perspective. It really is that simple. The insurance company (if they have any) would certainly drop them if they learned of this incident.

Fifth, I am now much more likely to bring my gas testers with me if I go on a dive vacation.

Thank you to the OP for posting.

In for the response and for potential lawsuit outcome.

We received no response from the letter. Around the same day we sent it they provided everyone with a "50% off a future Aggressor trip" voucher.

Socorro is a worthy diving destination, but there are other operators to choose with much better reviews.

Another "no response from Aggressor" story. But a 50% off take a chance on a different trip coupon this time.

You did not mention whether the coupon has an expiration date. 1 year?

I'm not sure how I missed this, UNBELIEVABLE....

It sounds like the bad problems we experienced on this boat have only deteriorated and gotten worse

Back
Top Bottom