Backup regulators on dive trips?

Do you take a backup regulator on dive trips?

• First stage only

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Second stage only

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • First and second stage

Votes: 41 39.8%
  • More than that, designate in post

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • No backup regulator

Votes: 39 37.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I now use a late Titan first stage with the 8mm hex inlet fitting, and 2x G250s. I can service any of them with minimal tools in less than 15 mins. Which is why I'd choose to travel with them. Of course I take service kits. I use an SPG and transmitter, chances of both failing pretty slim. I take spare LP and BC hoses. Don't take a spare mask, probably should given my circus freak small head. Fins have spring straps so unlikely to fail. I digress.... again...

To note, in over 20 years of diving and thousands of dives I've never had an in water failure. In fact only issue I've ever had was hp spool and that was after turning air on, a 3 min fix.

I do go on don't I 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

This thread is over a year old, not quite dinosaur status just yet.

Absolutely. I always have a backup 1st stage, 2nd stage, octo 2nd stage, various hoses, and an SPG in a backup regulator bag with me. I typically keep it in the car as long as I've been able to setup my rig before leaving the dock. If that isn't the case, I just grab that regulator bag and bring it onboard with me. I also typically dive with a pony bottle on which I use a high quality reg. That can also be quickly swapped out and used as a primary 1st or 2nd stage in a pinch.
Pretty much what they said WRT regs. Except octopi.

Last trip saw a Halcyon H-50 (SP MK17) and and XL4 on the 17 ft3 pony and a primary SP MK17/G260; halfway through the week I ditched that in favor of an older MK17/XL4 (the factory 260 mouthpiece was abrading my gums). Of course twin Perdii and xmitters, and a very basic small SPG in the backup bag. Extra mask in BUB.

Doesn't everybody travel with three reg sets?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom