Backup Regulator Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would strongly recommend you go with the method shown in the dir-diver.com link above.

I used to do it the other way (tied into a loop and slipped over the mouthpiece) but got a very unpleasant surprise one day when doing an air-sharing drill... the reg had slipped out of the loop and I found myself experiencing mounting panic as I tried to locate it. Not pleasant.

Securing the bungee loop under the ziptie is far more reliable, and just a little bit more slick.

If you do ziptie it, better to use the extra zip-tie method, so you don't run any risk of losing your mouthpiece because of the necklace construction.

I've never yet had a mouthpiece come out of the loop, but I suppose it could happen.

TSandM:
I've never yet had a mouthpiece come out of the loop, but I suppose it could happen.
Maybe uncomfortable, but I don't think it would be the end of the world if it did. JMHO

TSandM:
Hardly. Probably it depends on 2nd stage and mouthpiece construction but all versions I've seen have the same posibility of mouthpiece comming off with or without bungie.

TSandM:

I've never had this happen either. I'd say that if you ziptie the ends of the knots on the shock cord, it's not going to go anywhere unless you really tug on it.

Of course everyone mileage may very :)

Thanks fo rall the help everyone. I actually just called the shop and the only bungee they have in now is 1/8 in, so I will probably use that for now. As far as attachment I think I will go with it zip-tied on, as it seems to me if I need to remove it I can just loop it over my head where it would be more dangerous if I need to go to it and the backup had fallen out of the tied on way. Thanks for all the help!

Even if you use just one zip tie, you can't pull hard enough to pull the mouthpeice off. At least not by swimming. I saw one get caught on some doubles on a boat once (the bungie got caught on the neighbors argon bottle) and the bungie's elastic was totally kaput - but the mouthpiece was still on there.

As dir-diver.com discussed, one zip tie is fine and the preferred method. 1/8" cord works well too.

TSandM:
I use the black shock cord sold by REI, and the necklace construction in the link in Rick's first post. I like this because it does not involve the ziptie that holds the mouthpiece on the reg, and it is possible to pull the reg out of the necklace if for some peculiar reason one needed to do that.

Heh. Next time we do an S-Drill I am going straight for your backup just so I can see it go boing! :D

I have had my zip tie (the one holding the bungie on) break due to wear. Did it while gearing up.

Here is a question for those cold water divers who use the no-zip tie method. *cough* tsandm *cough* With thick wet/dry gloves can you put the doo-hickey back on under water? I could see that as being an advantage to the zip-tie method as you could then continue the dive.

jhoey:
I would strongly recommend you go with the method shown in the dir-diver.com link above.

I used to do it the other way (tied into a loop and slipped over the mouthpiece) but got a very unpleasant surprise one day when doing an air-sharing drill... the reg had slipped out of the loop and I found myself experiencing mounting panic as I tried to locate it. Not pleasant.

Securing the bungee loop under the ziptie is far more reliable, and just a little bit more slick.

Ditto, I had the same thing happen to me. The ziptie method seems more secure, and I'm more concerned with keeping it secure than trying to get it off underwater...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom