Backup Mask - Ever Had to Use While Solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never needed a back-up mask, but usually carry one solo and in overhead conditions because I know people that have needed them, and it's suggested (required?). Sometimes my dive buddies don't carry theirs because our team has one (me) and I'm ok with that. Know a guy that needed a fourth light once (but didn't have), so now he carries four. Know people that have needed second knives. I re-read 'A Blueprint for Survival' from time to time, and wonder how I survived those first ~50 cave dives on a Y valve before getting certified. Some folks still wonder...

I love this. So funny. Your long years of experience and what you have stated is so true and valuable.

Myself: I have never used the back up mask but carry one as the thought of opening my eyes in salt water for prolong times is not something I look forward to incase of issues. I have donated divers with malfunctioning regulators my second stage on multiple times. I've lost count. On one occasion, I tried to test one of my buddies: I gave the OOA signal and to my horror nothing happened. Which brings me to my point: Once in a while, we should practice emergency procedures. Once in a while we should actually take that mask out and put it on. Will it go smoothly or will it be a fumble with everything else falling out of the pocket into the abyss.:)

Thank you. You should consider getting used to opening your eyes in salt water, it's something you may need to do one day. Blurry vision is better than none. Also some mask issues will expose your eyes to water before you can close them.
Ever have a buddy kick your mask off when you weren't looking? Why compound a situation with another issue? Look at as another skill and be comfortable with it. Start doing mask drills with your eyes opened, you'll be surprised how fast you'll get used to it.

I don't rely on my buddy when I do have one for air, I dive as self reliant as I can be on every dive. I dive with too many DUMs (Divers Unknown to Me) to rely on another diver. There are a few people I dive with that I know very well and would trust but I've been a self reliant diver for so long it's just the way I dive.

Lol
I've opened my eyes UW. I just like it.
I like the other stuff you said in your post as well.

A mask, extra light or backup reg are not required to surface from an OW dive - IMO... But we can go round and round on this...
And I bet neither one of us will change their minds... :)

Yea, that's true OW shallow dive in calm sunny weather with good vis, no current, no waves, warm clean and fresh water, you could do a control ascend in MDL terms with leaking mask or no mask, I can agree on that :)

But sadly often my dives are in cold dark and murky water over 90feet and often between 37-50 degrees with visibility that jumping from 10-14 feet to 1 or even zero, now way I could compromise my safety by not having spare mask :)

I simply pressed my camera housing up against the mask to keep it in place and kept on filming until the end of that dive.
ha ha ha, that is something :)

Last edited:
I carried a spare mask when partner diving and still carry one when I started solo diving

In the past decade and a half, I've witnessed two divers loose their mask.

Both in the same manner bit different scenarios.

The first was when a gaggle of divers were suffocating a cornered turtle. One of the divers kicked the mask straight off amother divers face. Fortunately one of the nearby divers managed to quickly retrieve it and hand it back to the girl.

It is near impossible that this would happen to me, because I swim the other way when I see a collective pandemonium.

The second scenario is, unfortunately, not far fetched.
While divers were hanging doing a safety stop on an ascent line, a diver slightly above them descended, apparently unknowingly, and kicked the mask off a diver.

The new beauchat maxlux s is compact in and of itself and folds down almost flat. The rubber material is also very supple.
I keep one in my left pocket, along with a shearer, compact slate, and a bolt snap.

Hardly know it's there.
In fact, it's actually more comfortable because I previously also had a medium size dsmb/reel in that pocket.
Was getting a little crowded and not efficient in the event that I need something from that pocket.
Have relocated dsmb/reel to d ring on waist belt.

I had a spare this day

full.jpg

but mostly don't carry one

How did this happen ?

Never but I still gladly carry one on every dive. I’ve been carrying a spare mask for at least my last 600 dives probably more.

Every diver should have at least two masks. A broken mask is a sure fire way to ruin a trip. The only difference is that most divers keep their spare on the boat while I take mine with me.

How did this happen ?
Looks like a tank(s) crushed it, IMO.

My 1st 40 years of diving I seldom carried a spare mask while diving, mostly when penetrating wrecks. Then I started carrying a backup mask for about 10 years. Recently I have endeavored to lighten the load and started dropping gear I seldom use or never used, the mask came under the never used classification. If I haven't need a backup mask in 50 years I probably won't, been 2 years now still no use for a backup. IMO unless you are diving in an overhead where seeing clearly aids egress most divers will never need one while diving; however I always have a backup mask as well as other gear as part of a save a dive kit. The further from home I dive the more backup gear I bring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom