Backup Mask - Ever Had to Use While Solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did this happen ?

I've never much been into single pane masks, so I dived yeah, face first off the boat
wearing a frameless and the glass shattered didn't hit anything it was a cheap mask

So you was lucky to not have any other consequences from those little glass pieces.
Glad to hear that.

Never lost a mask on a dive. My daughter did throw one at a seagull she thought was choking on a sock (she was like 6). I have spares and loaners in my gear box on site. I can see bringing one in the water for dives where a simple abort is not an option, like a cave, wreck, or tech (deco), but I don’t see losing a mask as significant enough problem to prevent the safe abort of most dives.

I carry a spare mask when tech diving but normally don't when shallow solo diving (<30m).

Never had a mask strap break underwater but did have a very leaky mask due to the tubing on an IST Pro-Ear mask disconnecting while I was diving last year.

For those of you unfamiliar with this mask

IST Pro Ear Mask | Mike's Dive Store

My backup mask is a DiveRite with gauge reader lenses.

Just under 2000 dives, I have never lost the use of my mask. I do not carry a 2nd mask when solo diving, perhaps I should?

Probably at least have one in your save a dive kit. I carry a spare mask and reg set as part of my save a dive kit. On a night dive a few years ago my SPG spool started leaking pre-dive so the reg set came in handy.

So you was lucky to not have any other consequences from those little glass pieces.
Glad to hear that.

That's why they use tempered glass like your car windshield so if it does break while in use the glass stays together, mostly.

The glass doesn't stay together, it breaks into relatively small and uniformly sized fragments that are less likely to slice a person.

Searcaigh,
I have used Pro ear masks for years and a couple of hundred dives. The retaining band which crimps the tube to the connector on the mask skirt is brittle. It can beak which causes the tube to disconnect. I keep small zip ties with me and wrap the connector with silicone tape (one brand is Rescue Tape). Also be gentle with the tubes when donning the mask.

The glass doesn't stay together, it breaks into relatively small and uniformly sized fragments that are less likely to slice a person.

Windshields usually stay together, mostly. Dive mask faceplates were/are made from the same type of glass.

Back
Top Bottom