Backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evinkc05

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am looking to get some new backup lights. Does anyone have any that they would recommend for me? I know when I find something I like, I can't wait to sing its praises. Here is what is important to me...

1. Price: < $150
2. Lumens: > 100
3. Burn time: > 5 hrs

Thanks all!!!

Where do you dive? Rechargeable? physical size limitations?

Personally I just bought 2 W200's from [user]Packhorse[/user] on here, custom built LED lights. They are super bright lights, a bit more then you are looking but VERY bright.

Where do you dive? Rechargeable? physical size limitations?

Personally I just bought 2 W200's from [user]Packhorse[/user] on here, custom built LED lights. They are super bright lights, a bit more then you are looking but VERY bright.

I dive mostly in mirky lake travis for checkout dives. What are the specs on your lights as far as size and lumens and whatnot go? Do you have any pics? I am not looking for rechargeable. Can he make any any cheaper?

There is an inexpensive Dorcy light on Amazon, it's a very good buy, and uses 6 AAA cells.

Packhorse's mod W200 is too much for a backup light. Intova makes lights powered by 2 CR123 batteries if you like those. For a AA powered light there's the UK mini Q40 Plus.

I now take the lumen ratings with a grain of salt since Ikelite raised the ratings of their lights from 40 to 135 without changing anything.

Adam

i looked at those dorcy lights on amazon, and they dont look to be dive lights, but rather simply flash lights... are you sure they are waterproof? if so, what depth are they rated to?

i looked at those dorcy lights on amazon, and they dont look to be dive lights, but rather simply flash lights... are you sure they are waterproof? if so, what depth are they rated to?

Nevermind lol i found them :)

I am an avid fan of AElight's LED dive light. The stats on it are:

Diameter: 1.18 in.

Length: 6.3 in.

Weight: 3.53 oz.

Beam divergence: 12 degrees

Kelvin Color temperature: 5500

Lumen output: *270 lumens for 1-2 hrs, 180, lumens @ 3-5 hrs., then slowly decreasing with battery output. *(with fresh batteries)

Cree Q5 with proprietary reflector

Pressure depth: 600 ft.

Run time: 3-5 hr with fresh batteries (standard AA) @ full power, 36+ hr @ lower output.

Twist on/off

Triple seals on light head

6061 aircraft grade black anodized billet aluminum head, POM handle

Okay for out of water use.

I am an avid fan of AElight's LED dive light. The stats on it are:

Diameter: 1.18 in.

Length: 6.3 in.

Weight: 3.53 oz.

Beam divergence: 12 degrees

Kelvin Color temperature: 5500

Lumen output: *270 lumens for 1-2 hrs, 180, lumens @ 3-5 hrs., then slowly decreasing with battery output. *(with fresh batteries)

Cree Q5 with proprietary reflector

Pressure depth: 600 ft.

Run time: 3-5 hr with fresh batteries (standard AA) @ full power, 36+ hr @ lower output.

Twist on/off

Triple seals on light head

6061 aircraft grade black anodized billet aluminum head, POM handle

Okay for out of water use.

It looks almost exactly like a Tilly Tec W30.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom