Backup lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's see . . . what do I have?

Two Halcyon Scouts that we bought for $50 each off some board, and spent $60 to put eLED modules in (you can do it cheaper now -- people are selling the CREE modules by themselves now). These are excellent lights, bright, twist-on, rear attachment point, and we have not had one flood.

Photon Torpedo with the LED upgrade. Out of your budget, and ours flooded. But the lights enjoy a superb reputation, so ours may have been an anomaly.

Salvo Rat, Jr. No longer available, and the beam is fairly diffuse. Not a good light for turbid water.

OMS 1W -- Not very bright, and didn't last long.

Oxycheq Raider IV -- The best backup light I've used, but half of them don't work when you get them, and the one we had that worked well had the switch fail after less than a year's time. Beautiful lights, but I can't recommend them.

Just got the Dorcy lights -- the price was right ($49) and land testing is encouraging (very bright, focused beam). Burn time meets your criteria. Six AAA batteries is a bit of a pain, but if this light turns out to be durable, I'll be singing its praises everywhere.

Thanks for the recommend. I've recently become a fan of the Photon Torpedos http://www.cnsales.net/ptledspecs.htm (no flooding issues at all), but find them to be long for my torso. Still looking and will check into the Dorcy lights.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for the new light from Germany, the X1-VB

mb-sub.com: Home

it takes 3 AA cells or 3 C cells and has an adjustable beam angle.

The Dorcy looks fine, though there have been some problems reported. But I like to use rechargeable batteries, and with 6 AAA, it means having 12 AAA cells around, as I want to swap batteries, which is a bit of a pain. I wish someone could modify it to take 3 AA cells.

My current backup light is the Ikelite PCm LED. It has a very diffuse beam and is not that bright for a light with 4AA batteries.

Adam

The AELight 30 looks the same as the W200 but the dimensions are different.

The AElight is shorter and narrower. Also the LED is different. But the photos look suspiciously similar.

Adam

I'm wondering about the AELight dimensions. If the overall length is 6.3", then the person holding the light in one of the pictures have *very* small hands. Like 2.5" or so wide.

Also, 3 AA batteries end to end is 5.9". Now add the longish light head and the tail cap with the attachment "pin", and we're probably closer to the ~20 cm of the W200.

I'm not saying the lights are identical. Most likely the innards are quite different.

Anyway - just speculation.

Henrik

I'm wondering about the AELight dimensions. If the overall length is 6.3", then the person holding the light in one of the pictures have *very* small hands. Like 2.5" or so wide.

Also, 3 AA batteries end to end is 5.9". Now add the longish light head and the tail cap with the attachment "pin", and we're probably closer to the ~20 cm of the W200.

I'm not saying the lights are identical. Most likely the innards are quite different.

Anyway - just speculation.

Henrik

I got an informative Email from AElight. The cases are identical but the inside of the head is different. Looks like they changed the LED, put in a lens and possible added a circuit and the specs are different. Looks like an improvement over the W200 something like Packhorses' mod, although his takes two 18650 batteries and costs more.

I suspect the listed AElight's dimensions refer to the handle.

Adam

I got an informative Email from AElight. The cases are identical but the inside of the head is different. Looks like they changed the LED, put in a lens and possible added a circuit and the specs are different. Looks like an improvement over the W200 something like Packhorses' mod, although his takes two 18650 batteries and costs more.

I suspect the listed AElight's dimensions refer to the handle.

Adam

Thanks for the update. It'd make sense about the handle dimensions.

Henrik

I bought a German made LED Lensor D14. $58.00 including delivery from this guy...

http://cgi.ebay.com/LED-Lenser-D14-7457-M-Scuba-Diving-Cree-LED-Flashlight_W0QQitemZ220491007093QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335649c475

ZL7457-M.jpg

This has to be the best bang for buck backup light available IMO.

• Excellent materials and construction.
  • Great size for convenient stowage in BCD pocket.
  • Easy to use when gloved, on off mechanism.
  • Very bright light
  • Excellent run time
  • Waterproof to 180 feet.
I have used mine to 154 feet, and it is fine.
I am very happy with mine and would reccomend this light as a reliable and bright,easy to use backup.

P.S.
I don't give recomendations lightly.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom