Backup computer died; what would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Esprise Me

Kelp forest dweller
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I started diving with a Cressi Leonardo 2 years ago, and bought a Shearwater Teric 1 year ago. I kept the Leonardo and wore it as a backup on solo dives and liveaboards, and otherwise left it in my gear bag in case I forgot to charge (or forgot to bring) my Teric. Several months ago I lent it to a friend, and he just finally returned it with a dead battery. I replaced the battery and got it to beep again, but the screen is blank. I reached out to Cressi but haven't gotten a response and think it's unlikely they'll help. I'm not going to give my friend a hard time about it; I don't think it was his fault and I'm in a much better financial position to absorb the loss.

The question is, what now? I don't have an urgent need for a second computer, but I'll probably want one eventually. If I were to buy a second computer, which one would make the most sense for me? I still dive solo, though not very often (and not very deep) since I've met so many great buddies lately. I will likely do more liveaboards in the future, though not for another year or so. I still have the idea in mind to pursue tech training, though that's probably more than a year away.

Things I liked about the Leonardo/reasons to get another one: cheap, watch style, already familiar with interface, already have the cable to download dives, no need to charge battery, user-replaceable battery.

Things I disliked/reasons to get something different: single-button interface plus need to press (and hold) button to activate backlight made it inconvenient for night diving, overly sensitive ascent alarm, unable to get average depth without downloading dive (and inconvenient to download with cable), different algorithm that was mostly more conservative than my primary computer, damn thing broke after 2 years and company won't respond to emails.

Should I just wait until my need for a backup is more pressing? Should I just buy another (maybe used) Leonardo and throw it back in my bag just in case? Should I buy another Shearwater--maybe a used one, maybe a Perdix so I can still have that throw-it-in-the-dive-bag-and-forget-it-till-you-need-it convenience as long as I throw in some extra batteries? Another option I'm not considering?

I agree with @scubadada. Also, since you’re not in a hurry, keep an eye on the classifieds here and any local scuba yard sale groups.

Erik

I started diving with a Cressi Leonardo 2 years ago, and bought a Shearwater Teric 1 year ago. I kept the Leonardo and wore it as a backup on solo dives and liveaboards, and otherwise left it in my gear bag in case I forgot to charge (or forgot to bring) my Teric. Several months ago I lent it to a friend, and he just finally returned it with a dead battery. I replaced the battery and got it to beep again, but the screen is blank. I reached out to Cressi but haven't gotten a response and think it's unlikely they'll help. I'm not going to give my friend a hard time about it; I don't think it was his fault and I'm in a much better financial position to absorb the loss.

The question is, what now? I don't have an urgent need for a second computer, but I'll probably want one eventually. If I were to buy a second computer, which one would make the most sense for me? I still dive solo, though not very often (and not very deep) since I've met so many great buddies lately. I will likely do more liveaboards in the future, though not for another year or so. I still have the idea in mind to pursue tech training, though that's probably more than a year away.

Things I liked about the Leonardo/reasons to get another one: cheap, watch style, already familiar with interface, already have the cable to download dives, no need to charge battery, user-replaceable battery.

Things I disliked/reasons to get something different: single-button interface plus need to press (and hold) button to activate backlight made it inconvenient for night diving, overly sensitive ascent alarm, unable to get average depth without downloading dive (and inconvenient to download with cable), different algorithm that was mostly more conservative than my primary computer, damn thing broke after 2 years and company won't respond to emails.

Should I just wait until my need for a backup is more pressing? Should I just buy another (maybe used) Leonardo and throw it back in my bag just in case? Should I buy another Shearwater--maybe a used one, maybe a Perdix so I can still have that throw-it-in-the-dive-bag-and-forget-it-till-you-need-it convenience as long as I throw in some extra batteries? Another option I'm not considering?

I think I'd change the battery again :). I don't know Cressi's internals, but ensuring the contacts are clean would be my next step. A pencil eraser can be your friend.

If you want cheap and new, I think Mares Puck Pros are going for 179 these days. They have all the failings of the cressi, and poorer interface, but they are less conservative and seem to last forever.

Do you use AI? If you do you can pick up an inexpensive used Oceanic or Aqualung computer and pair it to the same transmitter.

I'd get Geo 2.0. Compact, cheap, reliable, liberal. $240 right now at leisurepro in white. Around $270 everywhere in grey Oceanic GEO 2.0 Wrist Computer

The major drawbacks - basic monochrome display and having to buy a proprietary download cable - aren't really an issue for a backup device.

And if you have 4 friends that need computers, they are only $200 each. I started writing this as a bit of a joke but, at some point, realized that if I needed a new computer it would be worth finding 4 other people. That is quite the deal!
3, if you include the OP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom