Backup computer died; what would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

get another shearwater when the opportunity or need arises. save the dead cressi in case of a trade in discount sale at a LDS if you decide to buy a new shearwater.

Hmmmm, that might be just what I'm looking for. Cheap enough that I could still be a pal and lend it out without getting too upset if I didn't get it back. Algorithm would be consistent. Rechargeable battery isn't ideal for the purpose, but if it really lasts 3 months in standby and can charge quickly, that could work.

Hmmmm, that might be just what I'm looking for. Cheap enough that I could still be a pal and lend it out without getting too upset if I didn't get it back. Algorithm would be consistent. Rechargeable battery isn't ideal for the purpose, but if it really lasts 3 months in standby and can charge quickly, that could work.

If you’re really considering it, I know of another person who is interested as well as myself. I DEFINITELY don’t NEED another computer, but this one looks fun. If you can come up with 2 more people we’ve got the $200 mark. Think they would ship all five individually to different parts of the country?

Erik

If you’re really considering it, I know of another person who is interested as well as myself. I DEFINITELY don’t NEED another computer, but this one looks fun. If you can come up with 2 more people we’ve got the $200 mark. Think they would ship all five individually to different parts of the country?

Erik
I’ll bet $50 yes. Anyone want to bet against me?

I’m not taking that bet. Chris has taken care of me a couple of times.
That’s the common case

+1 on the Deep 6. I don't see AI in my future so when it was time to get diver # 6 in our family of 7 his own computer, he got a D6 for Christmas and so did I. Relegating my Leonardo to backup. Took advantage of the BF sale last year. Got him another strap too so that it's easier to differentiate.

I'd get Geo 2.0. Compact, cheap, reliable, liberal. $240 right now at leisurepro in white. Around $270 everywhere in grey Oceanic GEO 2.0 Wrist Computer

The major drawbacks - basic monochrome display and having to buy a proprietary download cable - aren't really an issue for a backup device.
+1 on the Geo 2 My backup for my Perdix (a Suunto Vytec) started diving on its own. I found a used Geo 2 on fleabay with a broken strap for <$100. I cut off the remains of the straps, added a ziptie and double-ended boltsnap, and it dives every dive with me in a pocket. A bit more conservative than the Perdix running 80/40, but not bad. IMHO a monochrome display is not that big of a deal (hey it's a backup)

+1 on the Geo 2 My backup for my Perdix (a Suunto Vytec) started diving on its own. I found a used Geo 2 on fleabay with a broken strap for <$100. I cut off the remains of the straps, added a ziptie and double-ended boltsnap, and it dives every dive with me in a pocket. A bit more conservative than the Perdix running 80/40, but not bad. IMHO a monochrome display is not that big of a deal (hey it's a backup)
Are you running the Geo 2 on PZ+? PZ+ should run around a GF high of 85. DSAT runs around a GF high of 95. Buhlmann is a little more conservative on 1st dive, relatively more liberal on repetitive dives.

Here is a table of 1st dive NDLs using 32% nitrox:

upload_2021-3-3_9-59-38.png

Maybe I am missing something, but this is posted in Basic Scuba, why do you even need a back-up computer for recreational diving? Sure, if you want one, and you are made of money, whatever, its your money. But for recreational diving you dont "need" one.

Most times, on a rec dive I will carry a watch, but even that is a tad redundant. And I will confess, on some dives all I will bring is a compass.

Back
Top Bottom