Backup computer died; what would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe I am missing something, but this is posted in Basic Scuba, why do you even need a back-up computer for recreational diving? Sure, if you want one, and you are made of money, whatever, its your money. But for recreational diving you dont "need" one.
It's for any remaining dives for the day.

Especially for vacation divers, you've spent a lot of money to get to a dive site, the cost of a backup computer is basically insurance that you won't have to sit out or limit other dives that day (or even the next days if you are somewhere remote or on a liveaboard).

I started diving a wrist mounted, AI computer in 2010. I have dived with a backup computer and SPG since then. I have done 1,529 dives over that period. I have needed my backup computer on 2 dives (0.13%) when I let the battery on my primary computer go out. I have used the backup SPG on 11 dives (0.72%), the 2 dives above, 2 dives when the transmitter battery went dead, 2 dives when I did not install the transmitter on the reg set I was using, and 5 dives due to a transmitter failure.

On these 11 dives, over 10 1/2 years, when a backup was required, 6 were entirely my fault and 5 were due to equipment failure. A backup SPG was used more frequently than a backup computer. YMMV :)

My Suunto Cobra died, it had the depth sensor problem but also wouldn't download data. I unwisely tossed it in the trash about a week before the recall came out. Oops. My primary at the time was an UWATEC Luna. I decided I liked the G2 (now owned by Scubapro) display better (getting older has it drawbacks, I miss my close up vision the most) so I bought one of those. Quality Swiss engineering sold by Americans and made in Indonesia. I'm happy with the choice. Since I'm not on vacation I'm not using a backup but I have one if I need it.

Yes, as I indicated in the OP, not replacing it at this time is one option I'm considering. I do want a second computer before I do another liveaboard. Even though the chance of a computer failure is small, the cost of the missed dives would be great, the second computer is cheap insurance, and the peace of mind alone is worth a lot to me. I'm on the fence about how important it is to have a second computer on my person for solo dives, or in my bag for other dives just in case I forget my primary at home or forget to charge it, or my buddy forgets his, etc. It might be $250 worth of important, but maybe not $500+. I appreciate the feedback.

The first thing I'd look at is "risk/reward". What is the outcome of a dead computer? Miss a local normal dive? Is the diving the type that can be done with other methods? Is a back-up really needed (there was a time when one was a complete luxury)? Any of these would likely have me on pause for a second PDC....

Now, if I was on a dive where it would be an epic loss to miss (big travel, big cost), I'd certainly have an investment in redundancy available...

YMMV

Maybe I am missing something, but this is posted in Basic Scuba, why do you even need a back-up computer for recreational diving? Sure, if you want one, and you are made of money, whatever, its your money. But for recreational diving you dont "need" one.

Most times, on a rec dive I will carry a watch, but even that is a tad redundant. And I will confess, on some dives all I will bring is a compass.
Same here. But of course you need tables too, and few like us can still use them. As well, multi-level diving would come into it such as-- if someone is following the DC (no watch, depth gauge), they would have to know what their max depth was in order to do dive #2 with tables & analog. Not likely. That's why I use DC, watch, analog depth gauge & tables.

I do own and know how to use tables, but I don't own or intend to purchase a standalone dive watch or depth gauge. Also, even on a 3-tank local day boat with relatively tame profiles, I often end up beyond the limits of tables due to multilevel diving, so that's not a good backup option for me.

Most times, on a rec dive I will carry a watch, but even that is a tad redundant. And I will confess, on some dives all I will bring is a compass.
Because many(most) of us don't get to dive as frequently as we would like. At home, it's a 3 .5 hour drive each way, on vacation, there is additional time/money/opportunity cost.

A backup computer (and a reasonable save-a-dive kit) can make all the difference between continuing to dive and watching from the shore

I do own and know how to use tables, but I don't own or intend to purchase a standalone dive watch or depth gauge. Also, even on a 3-tank local day boat with relatively tame profiles, I often end up beyond the limits of tables due to multilevel diving, so that's not a good backup option for me.
Right. Plus the chances of one's backup computer also crapping out are what? The reason I still use the analog stuff as backup is because I already owned it. Plus, my dives are almost always square profiles. It's difficult to do a true multi level dive in an awful lot of places. Every boat I've been on in the Gulf of Mex. meant a wreck or reef, essentially on the bottom. I don't consider swimming up 10-20' to cross a deck as multi-level. Yet many say that the vast majority of dives are multi-level.

Hi Esprise, I can recommend the Mares Nemo Wide at Amazon for $ 205. I had the original, bought in 2007, died after about 1000 dives. Then I saw it on Amazon and bought two units a couple of years ago. The price is pretty good, less than half of that of 2007. Mares does not make these anymore, looks like someone had excess supply. They are genuine. I'm happy enough with this model.

I think it fits what you are asking for - 4 buttons, backlight button is convenient, I don't find the ascent alarm 'overly sensitive' (although it will beep when you raise your hand quickly), it has average depth readable on the display after the dive, you will need a separate cable for downloading (not too important to me, maybe not to you either for a backup), I find it a little on the conservative side, but not very (just anecdotally, compared to other divers on the boat), I've contacted Mares twice over the years and I find them responsive.

It is a bulky device, case size is about 3" x 2.5" actual display is a little smaller all around, with a very large display, sturdy semi stiff strap that you can attach a small cutting device to, button cell for power, (air and nitrox modes of course).

It may or may not not suit you, but for me, after looking at others including Shearwater, it was just fine since I was already used to it.

(I promise I don't get any commission on this!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom