Backup 2nd stage selection.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50Fathom

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Right now, I'm using G250s for both my primary and backup on my doubles and singles setups. Thinking of changing over to something "lower performance and unbalanced", like in the older literature, maybe a 395, or something similar, then using the 250s on other sets.

I figure:

The G250 takes up quite a bit of real estate under my chin. 395-size is easier to manange
I have to keep the adjuster turned in quite far, and either adjust it out when I use it, or have a reg that breathes like a lower performer anyhow
Cheaper and easier to service
Simpler design is arguably tougher
When properly tuned, my "seat-of-the-pants magnahelic" can't tell the difference between a couple of tenths of cracking pressure

The thing is, every time I see or dive with like-minded divers, they all have "matched sets" of 2nds; G250s, S600s, XTX50s, whatever. Appearance isn't that important, but is there a reason I just don't see lower performance 2nds, and the matched set seems to be the norm?

(Oh, cost has nothing to do with it, lest anyone bring it up.)

i use an r395. g250s are too finicky. i want it to breathe when i need it. if it breathes a little worse I'm not going to cry about it. I'll have bigger things to worry about at that point.

there are plenty of us who still use r190/395 style regs around our necks.

Cool. I think that's what I'm gonna do. Then I can use the 250s for another reg set or whatever. I just didn't know if there was a compelling reason to keep the backup the same as the primary. It seems not.

I'm diving XTX50s for both primary and back-up. The way I figured was that 1) they use the same service kits and 2) in the case I *really* need to breathe off of it in an emergency I want it to breathe well - whether it is a valid reason or not, I can't say for sure.

I don't feel the XTX50 is bulky under my chin :)

On one set I have G250v on both primary and backup. On the orher Pilot as primary and 109 as a backup. On my single tank both are ATX50.
I never noticed that G250 takes much space. The chin is up most of the time anyways so i do not notice it. Id you want to go SP unbalanced way I would get a 109 they are metal and undestructable.

in the case I *really* need to breathe off of it in an emergency I want it to breathe well

See, this was my reason for using another G250, but I realized the other day that unless I'm drilling or practicing, (which, admittedly, is not uncommon), I just don't use the backup, and that fact, compounded with the fact that I have been using shop rental regs (Mk2/R295s), since my stuff got stolen, (which I just got some of it back, anyhow...), and I realized that after I retuned and set-up the 295s, they don't breathe that bad, especially when paired to a nice balanced first stage.

My G250s crack right at 1.0" of water on the maganhelic, and breathe really sweet. Problem is, I have to detune the backup, either at the orifice, or run the adjustment knob nearly all the way in, just to prevent freeflows at the surface or during entries. If that's the case, why not just use a more rugged, simpler 2nd that is already set to 1.2" or 1.3" of water, which I can barely tell the difference on? Plus, when I have done drills in courses, where it's treated as "real", I never even had the thought to back out the adjuster on the 250, so I breathed it for a good amount of time while detuned, and it's difference in performance never even entered the equation. As was mentioned, I had a lot of other things on my mind at that point.

---------- Post Merged at 09:46 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:43 PM ----------

I never noticed that G250 takes much space. The chin is up most of the time anyways so i do not notice it.

I typically don't, but rarely, I feel it.

Id you want to go SP unbalanced way I would get a 109 they are metal and undestructable.

Can't get the faceplate off without tools. No Go.

I've actually got some 109s in various states of repair I'll be looking to sell soon. Great reg, and classy as hell, but just not philosophy-compliant.

That's true 109 does not have unscrewable plate but it also have a soft purge which means the purge will not get stuck like 250 or apeks in silty or sandy conditions.
I donno how often do people have to clean their primary or backup from debris?
I had many cases when I had to open the stage seconds but never the primary or backup. Donno :)

I use a simple unbalanced backup (r190 or r390, depending on what's in style on the day). Don't want something that's going to freeflow, is finnicky, or come out of adjustment, have knobs that I need to fiddle with, or any other business other than deliver gas when I need it. Plus, if you're cranking down that knob when its sittin as a backup (unused for months and months, maybe more), it indents the seat. With a simple reg, I can set it where I want it, no more, no less.

I have a FLEET of g250s (original, HP, V, clear, colored, old, new, sat in a cave for a year, etc) and they are ALL more troublesome than my R series regs. I like them a lot, they breath well (great for long decompressions), but not something I want to deal with on a backup reg. Fwiw, I used to run an s600 and a g250 (pick your varient) as a backup. Much more happy with my R series regs.

I think the size of the backup isn't as important as the weight of it. I have use a very light weight backup. It kind of float against my neck. I hated it it.

Now, my both sets backup reg (one primary too) are HOG. I like the heaviness of it under my chin. Its size is average 2nd stage size. Peformance wise, it is definitley high performance tho. I guess you can always detune it.

See, this was my reason for using another G250, but I realized the other day that unless I'm drilling or practicing, (which, admittedly, is not uncommon), I just don't use the backup

I guess my thought is that the day I really do need it (and we're doing what we can to prevent that), is when I need it to breathe well. I.e. when drilling etc. I'm less concerned about that, but should it ever be "for real", I won't also be fighting a hard breathing reg.

I have my XTX50's set to ~0.5" of water on the manometer. With just a turn in on the back-up I don't get freeflows.

Anecdotally: one time doing drills with my buddy, she was donating to me, and all of a sudden I had a hard time breathing. After the dive we discussed that, and she had for some reason dialed up the cracking pressure on her primary reg. It was really quite uncomfortable to have to work that hard to breathe. I can only imagine what that would do to you in an emergency. So I'm sticking with an easy breathing reg for my back-up.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom