Aqualung Outlaw BCD review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiggins

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I purchased the Outlaw BCD before a trip to the Caribbean and wanted to share a review for others considering the model. I was drawn to it in my LDS because of its small size and modular sizing. I am an airline employee and frequently travel standby which can be a nightmare if you have to check bags. I wanted something even smaller than my DiveRight TravelPac that I can put in a backpack. The Outlaw looked like it would be just that and I purchased the 25lb wing, L backplate, M shoulder and waist straps. I'm 5'9, 160lbs, 30" waist. The sizing and fit was quite comfortable.
Diving with the outlaw in boardshorts and a rashguard was about as close to diving naked as I care to be. The BCD felt very streamlined with little drag. The padding was just enough to be comfortable without increasing bulk. I'm very happy with the model and think it suits my needs well.
It does have a few areas for improvement and things to consider. I missed having metal D rings to clip onto. There are loops in the webbing that can be clipped to but it did not seem as easy as metal to metal. I used double end snaps to clip to the loops and it worked, but is not ideal. I will continue to investigate other solutions for future trips. The plastic carabiner that is included looks a little cheesy and I didnt use it. There are no pockets for storage, so you will need to clip everything or find an attachable pocket. I felt a little like a Christmas tree with a small SMB, camera, flashlight, backup mask, and a phone case all dangling form clips.
I liked the tank buckle system and it made changing tanks quick and easy. Even with just 1 strap, my tanks stayed secure and never moved or jostled. Unfortunately, the setup lacked anywhere to place a trim weight and I usually like some weight towards the top of the tank. The best solution I found was using a tank strap from an old conventional BCD that a dive shop had. Slip this around the top of the tank before setting up and it worked well. I only needed about 3 lbs of weight with this system to be neutral and trimmed, and I could have put all 3 lbs on the tank strap. (Since my buddy was diving with unfamiliar equipment and still perfecting buoyancy, I chose to keep 2lbs on the back and 2 on a weight belt that i could offer if needed.)
One other area for improvement is the bottom dump valve setup. The release runs through a loop. I will probably reroute the release so that its more accessible and easier to pull. I found that a on a few dives, a bit of air got trapped in the wing and would not expel from the top, so it was necessary to invert and pull the lower dump.
Overall, I am very happy with the BCD. Its at a great price point and probably the smallest, lightest solution I have seen. Its definitely designed as a travel BCD meant for warm water, and to trim weight and bulk, lacks any extras. The modular sizing facilitates a great fit and you can remove pieces to save on space. It does fit into an under-seat cary-on backpack with my reg, masks, and boots. I probably would not recommend this setup to new divers, or those that want something more versatile for dives in any conditions and climates. As an extremely small, compact, lightweight travel BCD intended to be used in warm water, it was very comfortable and streamlined; I am very satisfied with the performance and recommend the model for divers with similar requirements.

If you want pockets, the Rogue waist band interchanges with the Outlaw. Also new at DEMA today, there will be a Rogue waist with traditional front placement of Surelock II integrated weights.

If you want pockets, the Rogue waist band interchanges with the Outlaw. Also new at DEMA today, there will be a Rogue waist with traditional front placement of Surelock II integrated weights.
Thanks for the information

The weight pockets are my biggest complaint regarding my Outlaw Aqualung Outlaw I may pick up a pair of the new Rogue waist straps and give it another try.

spoke to aqualung yesterday you can change the shoulder straps between the outlaw and rogue as well and by doing that you can use the rogue's bigger bladder if your are diving cold weather or just need extra lift and you get the D rings from the rogue's shoulder straps

Who did you talk to, and I will follow up?
I don't think that is entirely true.

The two different shoulder assemblies use different straps, and different Quick Connects, and the lower half of the strap is part of the back assembly, does not come with the shoulder parts. So you can't connect top to bottom on the strap if you mix and match.

I will have to look at my stock regarding a Rogue bladder on an Outlaw. At the least, you won't have the right shoulder dump pull cord.

To be sure I understand - you have an Outlaw and want to switch to some Rogue parts and features? Or you are buying new?

If buying new, and assuming no half measures on the right shoulder dump, then the only interchangeability is the waist. Rogue (pockets) and Outlaw (no pockets) are interchangeable.

Also, there will soon be another Rogue waist option, with the Surelock II system in the usual forward facing hip position, rather than on the kidneys pointing down.

Pro-tip: Bolt snaps are much easier to hook onto the fabric d-rings if you hook them from underneath. Coming from the top, you need two hands... one to hold the d-ring.

(Disclaimer....not a pro)

Who did you talk to, and I will follow up?
I don't think that is entirely true.

The two different shoulder assemblies use different straps, and different Quick Connects, and the lower half of the strap is part of the back assembly, does not come with the shoulder parts. So you can't connect top to bottom on the strap if you mix and match.

I will have to look at my stock regarding a Rogue bladder on an Outlaw. At the least, you won't have the right shoulder dump pull cord.

To be sure I understand - you have an Outlaw and want to switch to some Rogue parts and features? Or you are buying new?

If buying new, and assuming no half measures on the right shoulder dump, then the only interchangeability is the waist. Rogue (pockets) and Outlaw (no pockets) are interchangeable.

Also, there will soon be another Rogue waist option, with the Surelock II system in the usual forward facing hip position, rather than on the kidneys pointing down.

it is correct I have an outlaw already have the rouge waistband assembly for when I want pockets but called aqualung and after asking they said it is possible to change the shoulder straps as well and by that be able to use the rogue's bigger bladder

I talked to someone in tech dept and she went and asked one of the techs there
and the shoulder strap connectors are the same the difference is in the color and thickness of the padding and of course the cord for the dump valve(at least that's what they told me).
the outlaw doesn't have the extra attachments for trim pockets on the back
if you look the manual online the rouge and the outlaw share the same manual with parts that say *rogue only

but i see what you mean , the bottom connectors are not the same

now I'm wondering something else...
if you buy the connecting cord of the DV and sew a small piece to run the cord through ..would that work?

Back
Top Bottom