Backside of Catalina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
On the 14th, my dad and I have a trip to the backside of Catalina. Has any one been there? Whats over there?

pipedope once bubbled...
Purple coral on Farnsworth Bank.
:D

Its an advanced dive, and there has been a recent fatality there (several months ago), so be careful, and assess your skills accurately.

I've never dived there, but would do so if I had the opportunity.

Sean

Amazingly I haven't been diving the windward side in a few years. No longer have a car or a boat to get me there, and hiking over our ruigged terrain with 150# of gear is not my idea of a cake walk.

As the name suggests, it is more exposed to incoming waves and swell than the more commonly dived leeward side. It takes a bit more experience depending on prevailing conditions- it can be flat calm on a good day (or a Santa Ana).

Farnsworth is indeed a more advanced dive than much of the leeward side. Always a possibility of pelagics there.

What boat are you diving off?

Dr. Bill

Back
Top Bottom