Backscatter red flip filter in action (GoPro Dive Housing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi agree with Marty about URPro efficiency.
I have the new SRP filter (for the GoPro Dive Housing) and had the opportunity to test both i a dive yesterday, up to 95 feet, and the next to come SRP filter is just amazing !
I was used to take my 2 Sola (1200, 2000) but now... I only keep it for underwater balancing the tray :wink:
That said, Backscatter is a great product too. It's just that one is much better (and of course won't be the same price I think, but who cares if it's for quality ?).
And it looks like Backscatter's is ok from 25 up to about 45 feet (approx) when SRP's can give mch better colors below.

What does "SRP" stand for and does it work with the new Gopro dive housing? I need a dive housing and filter for diving in the carribbean and not sure if i get the Backscatter housing and Magic filter or something different.

Sorry, SRP means Snake River Prototyping, the ones that produce the BlurFix housing for GoPro.
They worked with URPro on a slip-over red filter for those who have the BlurFix, but they also worked on a brand new red filter that fits the new GoPro Dive Housing, like Backscatter did.

In my opinion, only those 2 filters must retain your attention. And according to my reviews, the new SRP filter is much better, but not yet sold. You'll have to wait a little more. I may show footages or photos in 1 or 2 weeks.

In my mind, all other filters for GoPro are just bad... Just consider those 2 brands.

waiting waiting ...waiting... :)

I am desperate to get one of the SRP filters for my trip coming up on 9/14! Getting very close!

If you change your trip to tropical Melbourne I can lend you one, by tropical I mean 9c water cold windy and overall miserable. :D

I dont know when they will be out only SRP or their dealers will have that inf sorry.

I did get my backscatter filter so I hope to post some videos in the next few weeks too. The reason the shipping was a bit more then the others is it came in 2 boxes, one large one that a much smaller one was rattlng around in. Maybe backscatter may consider just the one small box inside a padded bag which would halve the cost of shipping worldwide and would give the same protection or even more with the extra padding of the bag.

Sorry, SRP means Snake River Prototyping, the ones that produce the BlurFix housing for GoPro.
They worked with URPro on a slip-over red filter for those who have the BlurFix, but they also worked on a brand new red filter that fits the new GoPro Dive Housing, like Backscatter did.

In my opinion, only those 2 filters must retain your attention. And according to my reviews, the new SRP filter is much better, but not yet sold. You'll have to wait a little more. I may show footages or photos in 1 or 2 weeks.

In my mind, all other filters for GoPro are just bad... Just consider those 2 brands.

Is that to say that you consider the new Backscatter housing/filter setup to be worse than both 1) the URPRO sold with the new Gopro UW housing and 2) the currently unavailable SRP filter?

What housing would one get if they were waiting for the SRP filter to be released?

SRP is the brand that works with URPro for optical purposes to build the next to release filter for 2 configurations : one slip over for the existing Blurfix, and one dedicated for the brand new GoPro Dive Housing (you clip it on the flat lens). That's the one I had the ability to review and compare to the Backscatter one.

Of course, both have completely different usages. The depth usage for the Backscatter magic flip is between (approx.) 2 and 10 meters. The SRP/URPro has in my situation an optimum usage between (approx.) 8 to 25 meters, but still have results at 30 meters, the max I went to with.

What housing would one get if they were waiting for the SRP filter to be released?

For deeper usage than 10-15 meters, and people diving without video lights, the SRP filter is the one you should wait for.
For usage in very shallow water (too shallow ?), the BS may be ok and more for snorkeling, apnea, or people considering the reds can only be taken with video lights.
My first choice is the SRP definitely. The footages demonstrate what I say, and I would advise to wait for its release.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom