Backscatter red flip filter in action (GoPro Dive Housing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wondering if anyone here has received info or maybe even had some BS filters sent in the second batch, I had ordered one a while back and via email was told on the 7th they were expecting a new batch the next day and then another batch that friday and Id be informed when its shipped. Ive had no news from backscatter since then and those dates were all for last week.

I hope to do a full review of all the decent GoPro dive housings and I see as the SRP and backscatter options as the best 2 options which I really want to see how they match up head to head, along with the oculus one which is about the only other option I think worthy of competing against these 2 yet its not quite at the same level I think.

Im just waiting on the BS filter as I was lucky enough to get some test samples from SRP and the one from occulus came from Thailand with free postage to Australia withing a couple of days of my order. Their service is great but Im not sold on that filter yet and it came pre sent with a little scratch :) but this shouldn't effect its use. It looks ok but it uses from what I can tell just a basic generic filter not from URPro or Magic so I dont expect it to perform as well as the other 2.

The few videos posted here show the backscatter does a pretty good job with the magic filter, from what Ive seen in most examples it may not work as well at depths beyond 10m as the URPro filters which I have used for a while but does well in the shallows. This again is just an assumption I want to test to see if this really happens and also as the 3 options use quite different mounting approaches it will be interesting to see which is the easiest to use underwater.

But that's just my assumption and the reason for testing them all side by side at various depths to get a better idea of how they all work in the real world. I will be interested in the results and I think a few others may too and id also like to see anyone else do similar tests to see how they compare to my results in different conditions.

I'll send you my BS filter to try after my trip in September if you send me your SRP filter to try during my trip in September! :)

I'm convinced the SRP will be better all around, especially for my needs, and have my fingers crossed they will release them in time for my trip. I'll be in Roatan, and most of my dives there are in the 40' to 60' range.

Just wondering if anyone here has received info or maybe even had some BS filters sent in the second batch, I had ordered one a while back and via email was told on the 7th they were expecting a new batch the next day and then another batch that friday and Id be informed when its shipped. Ive had no news from backscatter since then and those dates were all for last week.

I just called Backscatter to order a setup for a last minute trip and they said they just received the BS filters for the GoPro Dive housing in and could ship me out one today. You might try calling them to see if yours is being shipped now as well.

I did just get a reply to my email from them and it has just been shipped so its all good and I hope to get some tests done soon. I will just need a little luck with weather and vis to get a day good enough to do some deeper dives with some decent vis. :D

Last edited:
I have already ordered mine from backscatter direct, being in Australia the shipping options were a little much for such a small Item I thought so I went the cheapest and terribly slow option. Here are the shipping options they gave me.

C.O. #510919
Shipping Method PriceTime
UPS**
Worldwide Express Saver$62~2-3 Days*
Worldwide Expedited$51~3-5 Days*
USPS
Express Mail Intl.$42~1-2 Weeks
Priority Mail Flat Rate***$16~2-4 Weeks
*Shipping times are business days**Prices have been discounted ***No Tracking

Im sure the filter could easily fit into a priority mail express padded envelope which USPS has at $38 3-5 days delivery up to 20 pounds in weight International Price Calculator The USPS express mail intl 1-2 weeks quoted by BS at nearly double the cost of the filter seemed a little pointless and slow to me when it could get here cheaper and express using the same company.

The weather is bad here and I need to get a few other things organized before doing my tests so I wasn't in a real hurry, the main reason for my earlier post was because I had heard of others getting orders yet I had no news even though I pre ordered which was meant to be a priority with the next batch.

When I ordered there was no idea of when they will have stock so paying $112 for a $50 item to be shipped express but may not be here in a month seemed a little silly to me lol. Im only buying the filter so I can test it out for myself and do an honest comparison against the other options I have which may be of interest to some people here and at our other forum along with lots of people asking for it on my yt channel.

Hi agree with Marty about URPro efficiency.
I have the new SRP filter (for the GoPro Dive Housing) and had the opportunity to test both i a dive yesterday, up to 95 feet, and the next to come SRP filter is just amazing !
I was used to take my 2 Sola (1200, 2000) but now... I only keep it for underwater balancing the tray :wink:
That said, Backscatter is a great product too. It's just that one is much better (and of course won't be the same price I think, but who cares if it's for quality ?).
And it looks like Backscatter's is ok from 25 up to about 45 feet (approx) when SRP's can give mch better colors below.

I am desperate to get one of the SRP filters for my trip coming up on 9/14! Getting very close!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom