Backscatter red flip filter in action (GoPro Dive Housing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danpass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I chose to use some of today's footage of the randomly amusing jawfish in action.

Using only iMovie 11; First video unedited, second video with brightness, contrast and some color correction. Exposure slider wasn't touched as it tended to excessively blow out the highlights.

Purely natural light at ~30ft

Unedited

[youtubehq]mIiTGu-RwFo[/youtubehq]

Edited

[youtubehq]EeRm3qMxKUM[/youtubehq]

Last edited:
U must be using HD2 yah ?
Its greenish yellow AWB at that depth is still obvious at the un-edited video.
I like the unedited one better.
Thanks for the test........

That is with the filter ON?? Sure doesn't look like it is adding a lot back into the color profile.

it was better at the shallower depths, nearly true color, as compared to when it had no filter on at that same shallow depth.

Better at shallower depths? The video was only shot from 30' and that is what it looks like with the filter on? :confused:

yeah. at 20 it's good. water is fairly green in the Keys.

The best I can say for now concerning this filter is that it allows more room for color correction in post.

I was messing with a new BC and regulator yesterday as well so I wasn't as focused on the filter (flipping it up at certain depths for later comparison, etc)

I would like to see some comparison vids if you get them down the road at more shallow depths. This doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy for the lens. Maybe it just does a lot more at shallower depths. Since I have no experience with them at all I probably shouldn't even be typing right now.

I will be doing some comparison videos at some point but I haven't been able to get the backscatter lens yet as they are apparently out of stock til the middle of this month.

From my use with URPro filters at similar depths to this video they do hold up much better and the magic filter appears to work more like the shallow water cyan then the regular cyan by URPro. I have never had a URPro at 10m struggle as much as this example but with the shallow water cyan that is best at 5m depth this is similar to what you will get at 10m depth.

This seems to be a case with most people that have posted videos with URPro and Magic filters with GoPro camera's, I want to do a proper comparison to see what happens. The URPro cyan normally holds up quite well to 20-25m in good light but is at its best 5-15m, with the Magic filter I have seen some nice results in the very shallow range same as my use with the shallow water cyan but not much has been posted at more then 10m with backscatter gopro filter that has worked too great.

It will be interesting to see but the other day I had a URPro cyan filter at 10m during overcast conditions with a few showers in fairly bad 5m vis and it did a much better job then the video shown here.

I intend to take all the filters down to 30m on one of our wall dives showing how they all compare side by side all the way back to the surface which I think should be a pretty good way to test them and see what levels they all work best to.

I will be doing some comparison videos at some point but I haven't been able to get the backscatter lens yet as they are apparently out of stock til the middle of this month.

From my use with URPro filters at similar depths to this video they do hold up much better and the magic filter appears to work more like the shallow water cyan then the regular cyan by URPro. I have never had a URPro at 10m struggle as much as this example but with the shallow water cyan that is best at 5m depth this is similar to what you will get at 10m depth.

This seems to be a case with most people that have posted videos with URPro and Magic filters with GoPro camera's, I want to do a proper comparison to see what happens. The URPro cyan normally holds up quite well to 20-25m in good light but is at its best 5-15m, with the Magic filter I have seen some nice results in the very shallow range same as my use with the shallow water cyan but not much has been posted at more then 10m with backscatter gopro filter that has worked too great.

It will be interesting to see but the other day I had a URPro cyan filter at 10m during overcast conditions with a few showers in fairly bad 5m vis and it did a much better job then the video shown here.

I intend to take all the filters down to 30m on one of our wall dives showing how they all compare side by side all the way back to the surface which I think should be a pretty good way to test them and see what levels they all work best to.

I look forward to seeing the results. I will be in Bonaire in September and need to have something by then one way or another...

looking forward to it.

so far I have started the gopro on the surface and one thing I have not tried is stopping the recording at depth, letting the sensor adjust as much as possible and restarting the recording to see if there is any difference in WB.

It is something I've noticed in the LCD screen of a typical dSLR, where turning on/off lights will show a change in WB in the display.

Back
Top Bottom