Backscatter Housing - Which Filter For Green Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simon-

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I have been pleased with the results with the magic filter for blue water diving in the Red Sea, but now I am back in the UAE with our typically green water, which filter can anyone advise for the Backscatter housing?

Cheers

The 55mm green water URPro filter by SRP will work great with that housing. They are modified by SRP for lowest possible profile to minimize any vignetting for the Blurfix housing but will also work on the bs one as it takes 55mm screw in filters.

Lol just saw your signature, you better hope the girls in your office dont.

Cheers Marty, much appreciated.

I haven't got to worry too much about the girls in the office, they are too busy dragging their knuckles on the floor to be able to google SB

Last edited:
A green water filter is not designed for water that simply looks green but for temperate to cold waters that are really murky
A blue water filter will be the best choice for UAE, a green water filter would produce poor results

Using the blue water filter, I still get very green shots.

The waters around the UAE are generally green as opposed to blue and more on the warm side than temperate

You will get no better with a green water filter. Read the UR/PRO website and Alex Mustard Magic filter to get yourself an idea

Other people have tried and they get worse result. Personally I would only use a green water filter in the atlantic, in cold water and in a quarry.

If you want to spend few bucks to make your own opinion go ahead but I don't think you will be pleased

Not promising to hear.

I suppose the next thing to consider is some better lighting, though that will only be good for closer stuff

A green water filter is not designed for water that simply looks green but for temperate to cold waters that are really murky
A blue water filter will be the best choice for UAE, a green water filter would produce poor results

There are times where your camera will show green footage even if the water itself isnt actually green, if it doesnt look.green to you then its likely just down to cameras white balance or your current filter not working any more at that depth. There are quite a few videos posted here with the bs magic blue water filter showing they at times struggle much beyond 10m depth. Compared to the urpro blue water filters which I have been using this hasnt happened to me at the same depths. Last week I received my magic filter for the gopro dive housing but I havent actualy got it wet as yet.

I dont know what your water conditions are in your location, but if others say its not really green you may want to try a urpro cyan filter to see if it has a better effect. I will be testing out some filters in both cool water in Melbourne in winter around 9 to 10c and will also go north in a warmer climate. In the cooler waters in victoria though I have still had good results with the urpro cyan.

I will try post some local tests soon with urpro gr cy and magic blue water filters to give you an idea of how they compare here. If you know anyone that has a urpro cyan you could try this to see if it works better in your regular location.

To my knowledge the Green Water magic filter requires the camera to set a custom white balance as this feature is not supported by GoPro I would not recommend this filter
Looking at URPRO green this is their website
Use the URPRO GR filter with available light and/or electronic flash in GREEN algae fresh and salt water. Ideal for ALL still, video and movie camera systems.
I would not define UAE an 'algae' salt water and I have heard of other people buying this filter and being disappointed in waters that were green but still tropical

Back
Top Bottom