Backscatter housing at Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

testpilot58d

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone, sitting in Charlotte for my layover from Mexico and thought I'd upload some clips. THOROUGHLY pleased with the performance of the gopro hero2 in my Backscatter housing with red filter. First clip is of my daughter going down the line at approximately 30' shot at 720p60 with red filter installed. Bottom is visible in frame at 70'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUCLDy0pARE

---------- Post added April 13th, 2012 at 04:45 PM ----------

Second clip approximately 70' 720p60 with red filter installed. I was so excited to be filming this guy my hands were trembling.

Tortuga! - YouTube

---------- Post added April 13th, 2012 at 04:47 PM ----------

Third clip again 70' 720p60 with red filter installed. Another sea turtle. Poor guy was caught in some coral.

Stuck Turtle - YouTube

Here is the edited video. Run through Final Cut Pro X using auto WB color correct.

[video=youtube;JSKgoZ36AAQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSKgoZ36AAQ[/video]

Thanks Marty, and that is correct on the depth. Wanted to show for reference, the colors at depth. At the deeper depths it seemed like to get best color representation, fliming straight down into the coral with the least amount of lateral water between me and the subject produced best results. Closer was definitely better in ALL cases. Thank you for your comment.

---------- Post added April 19th, 2012 at 05:11 AM ----------

Oh and thanks Robin for your comments/suggestions on another thread to a different OP. I tried to keep in mind what you said when editing as far as varying the shots and mixing it up to keep things interesting.

Thanks Marty, and that is correct on the depth. Wanted to show for reference, the colors at depth. At the deeper depths it seemed like to get best color representation, fliming straight down into the coral with the least amount of lateral water between me and the subject produced best results. Closer was definitely better in ALL cases. Thank you for your comment.

Its good to do that to show depth and Ive also done the same when testing stuff out especially filters at depth. Im just used to meters and bar so the numbers all seem rather odd to me on your computer in PSI and feet lol

General rule with all underwater video and photos is to get as close as possible to you subject, the less water between the camera and target the better results.

That's why fish-eye lenses are so popular as you can get very close but it seems further away so getting the best image quality but seeing more then just a close up of a single leaf or fish.

Macro is great too but for that you don't want a full fisheye so GoPro cameras aren't the right tool for macro shots, the minimum focus distance is around 6 inches so no matter what you wont be getting a good close up of a tiny little critter with one of these cameras unfortunately but they are pretty cool for most other shots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom