Backplate setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too expensive.

All those plastic buckles make it a PITA to don and doff in the water. Rig your own single piece harness yourself.

For that price you can get a Halcyon Wing and complete titanium Helium Bpw.

That is just so overpriced it's maddening. Many options that will do exactly the same thing for 1/2 the price. The buckles and clips on the harness are not necessary unless you have mobility issues with your shoulder(s). BPW's used to be made by hand in people's garages out of old ss plate or even street signs liberated from their poles.
The whole idea was too have a SIMPLE rig that would work in most any environment and not cost an arm and a leg.
A SS plate can be found for $100-125. There's $20 worth of hardware and $15 worth of webbing. I've got a 32lb HOG wing in like new condition I'd want $175 for plus shipping.
$300 with the soft plate HOG comfort harness and two steel buckle cam bands and 5lb weight pockets that could be moved to a steel plate in about 30 minutes if you've never done it before.
I could make the swap in half that time. You'd still be around half of that price for the Hollis.
Setting up a BPW is not hard and I have an 11 page essay on the style of rig with photos of how it should be adjusted.
At that price, what you are looking at is about 350 worth of materials, and the rest for the name, maybe getting it adjusted correctly, and not much else.
Jim, new to BP/W and love to see your essay on setup. I went with an Edge Hog as I am using this infrequently. Looking for some advice on optimal weight locations as I have already received several conflicting statements. Thanks!

There is no optimal weight location for everyone.

Start with the wing lower on the plate, and subtract 6 pounds from whatever you were using in a bcd. Divide that weight into thirds, and put one third in your trim pockets.

Go dive. Attempt to hover. Keep your chin up and hold tension in your glutes. If your legs fall towards the earth, move some weight to the trim pockets, or adjust the tank.

Try again.

There are a few tricks to using hog weight pouches - there biggest one is use a triglide onthe shoulder strap side of the plate to keep the pouches from sliding forward and puking your straps too tight.

All that shouted help some, but you'd be better off spending a day with an instructor who has experience with bp/w setup for rec divers.

Back
Top Bottom